Oven Baked Chicken Taquitos
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Oven Baked Chicken Taquitos are filled with a cream cheese, perfectly spiced shredded chicken filling. Cooked to a perfect crispiness in the oven.
These Oven Baked Chicken Taquitos are one of our fam favorites for a quick and easy weeknight meal. These are made quickly and super easy. We like to make these for dinner, as an appetizer or they are are great to make ahead and take on a picnic or for lunch at school or work! They can be made ahead and frozen for a quick after school snack or dinner on the go!! So pretty much you need these chicken taquitos in your life!!
Ingredients Needed for Oven Baked Taquitos
- 2 cups Shredded Chicken, I like to boil chicken in salted water for about 20 minutes, until the chicken reaches 165ºF and then shred with two forks. You could also use a rotisserie chicken for this dish.
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2 tsp. Diced Green Chiles
- 4 oz. Cream Cheese
- 8 Whole Wheat or Flour Tortillas
- Cooking Spray
How to Make Chicken Taquitos
Start by making the filling for the taquitos. Shred the chicken until you have about 2 cups. Add in the spices and a mix with the chicken. Combine the spiced chicken with the softened cream cheese, shredded cheese and chiles.
How to Roll Chicken Taquitos
This is the method I like to use when making these taquitos. If you prefer to use a whole tortilla and more filling for one taquito, then go for it!! I like to use 8 inch tortilla shells, slice them in half and add about 2-3 tablespoons of filling to the straight edge of the tortilla. Roll from the straight edge and place on a greased baking sheet, seam side down so they stay rolled.
Just before placing in the oven, give the taquitos a quick spray of cooking spray or brush with oil. Bake them for 10-12 minutes in a 375ºF oven just until they are hot and crispy!!
Oven Baked Chicken Taquitos Recipe
Oven Baked Chicken Taquitos
- 2 cups chicken, shredded
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tsp diced green chile
- 8 tortilla shells, white or whole wheat
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Grease a baking sheet with cooking spray or oil.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine the shredded chicken, garlic powder, chili powder and salt.
- Add in the cream cheese, shredded cheese and green chiles.
- Slice the tortilla shells in half. On the straight edge of the tortilla place 2-3 tablespoons of the chicken mixture. Roll from the straight edge to the round edge. Place seam side down on the prepared baking sheet.
- Baking for 10-12 minutes until the tortillas are golden brown and the filling melted and warmed through.
Make this a meal!
Serve with some simple rice, salsa, sour cream and a salad. This also goes great with a colorful Fruit Salad and chips and salsa!! I would love to know if you tried this recipe, drop me a comment below!!
My family loves these as do I!! So much so that I’ve shared the recipe with friends!! To freeze them, I’m assuming you just prep them, freeze & then thaw overnight to heat up the next day? I’m making freezer meals for a family going through some health issues & like to include cooking instructions to make it so simple that even their kids can cook the meal!!
I’m so happy your family loves these as much as mine does. These are super easy to freeze and reheat. To freeze, I usually let them cool a bit and then place in a single layer in a zip top bag to freeze. You don’t need to place them in the refrigerator to thaw, they can actually be cooked straight from the freezer. Just follow the same cooking temperature, but they will need to cook longer, cook from frozen for 20-25 minutes until heated through.