This simple recipe for Spinach Ricotta Pasta is a perfect weeknight dinner! Just a few simple ingredients and it tastes like you made a big pot of unstuffed shells without all that extra stuffing work!
Every night is a good night for pasta!! It is cheap, quick and easy!! This Spinach with Ricotta Pasta is perfect for those crazy busy nights when the last thing you want to worry about is what’s for dinner…..oh wait…that’s every night around here! This is one of our go tos! Just a few ingredients and ready super fast. This Spinach Ricotta Pasta is also really easy to reheat, so if everyone is going a million different direction, they can grab a bowl, reheat and eat!!
Ingredients Needed for Spinach Ricotta Pasta
Simple ingredients sometimes make the best meals!!
- 1 lb Rigatoni Noodles
- 2 cups Ricotta Cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Reserved Pasta Water
- 2 cups Spinach
- 1 cup Mozzarella
- 1/2 cup Parmesan
- 1 jar Spaghetti Sauce (optional)
- Salt and Pepper
Can I Substitute Cottage Cheese for Ricotta Cheese?
For this recipe the answer is a big YES!! I have done this many times when I don’t have Ricotta on hand. We usually have cottage cheese on hand and it works perfectly in this recipe, so go for it!!
How to Make Spinach Ricotta Pasta
Brace yourself for how simple this recipe is!! Just a few easy steps and dinner is done!!
Start by cooking your pasta, get the water boiling and add the noodles. While the noodles are cooking, in a small medium mixing bowl combine the ricotta and egg and stir with a wooden spoon until it is mixed well. Add in the chopped spinach, 3/4 cup of the Mozzarella and salt and pepper. To loosen up the cheese add small amounts of pasta water until it is creamy and stirs easily. Stir in the drained pasta and stir until covered and cheesy.
In a large dutch oven or baking dish, pour in the noodles and cheese. Sprinkle with remaining Mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Bake uncovered at 375ºF for 15-20 minutes, until cheese is melted and heated through.
Serve with warm Spaghetti Sauce if you want, or eat it as is.
Recipe for Spinach Ricotta Pasta
Spinach Ricotta Pasta
- 1 pound Rigatoni
- 2 cups Ricotta Cheese
- 1 Egg
- 2 cups Spinach, chopped
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese, shredded
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Spaghetti Sauce (optional)
- 1 cup Pasta Water
- Preheat oven to 375ºF
- Prepare rigatoni according to package directions. Cook until al dente, reserving 1 cup of pasta water.
- In a mixing bowl combine Ricotta cheese and egg. Stir to combine the egg and the cheese. Add in the Spinach and season with salt and pepper.
- Fold prepared noodles into the cheese mixture adding pasta water as needed to loosen up the cheese. Add in 3/4 cup of the Mozzarella cheese.
- In a large dutch oven or 9 x 13 inch baking dish pour out the pasta and cheese mixture. Cover with the remaining Mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until cheese is golden and bubbly and entire dish is warm. Serve with warm Spaghetti Sauce or eat as is.
- This dish is delicious drizzled with warm spaghetti sauce
- For additional flavor we like to add freshly chopped basil or mix in a tablespoon of Italian Seasonings and a few shakes of red pepper flakes.