Fall is in the air and that means time for all things apple! These apple pie bars are the perfect Fall treat! All the flavors of apple pie, but much easier to make!
I love this apple pie bar recipe because it truly tastes just like a slice of apple pie. This recipe is easy to make, no need to worry about making the perfect pie crust, just mix together the crust ingredients and press into the pan.
This is the perfect apple recipe to bring to all of those family gatherings and holiday parties that happen throughout the Fall season, I’m talking about you, Thanksgiving! Take away the pie stress and make your pie into a simple bar!
Ingredients for Apple Pie Bars:
For the crust:
For the apple pie filling:
Full ingredient measurements and recipe instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Steps to make Apple Pie Bars
This recipe only takes a few steps to make, and really isn’t too time intensive. Let’s walk through the simple steps and I’ll point out a few tips to hopefully make this recipe easy and flawless.
Step 1: start by making the crust. This can easily be done by combining all of the crust ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
Tip: make sure to use cold butter. I like to cut the butter in using a cheese grater to make small pieces of butter.
Mix the crust until it forms a sand-like mixture. This can also be done using forks, clean hands or even a pastry knife.
Step 2: press 2/3 of the crust mixture into the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 inch pan.
Tip: use the back of a flat measuring cup or drinking glass to make the crust even and flat in the pan.
Bake the crust for 10 minutes.
Step 3: while the crust is baking, prepare the apple pie filling. Start by peeling and slicing the apples.
Tip: to evenly slice the apples, I like to use my apple slicer, it makes this process quick and easy. If you don’t own an apple slicer, slice the apples into halves, remove the core, then slice into even slices.
Step 4: melt the butter in a sauce pan over medium high heat, then add in the apples and the rest of the filling ingredients.
Cook and stir for 4-5 minutes, the apples won’t be fully soft at this point, just heated through.
Pour the apple filling over the crust in an even layer.
Step 5: sprinkle the remaining crust over the top of the apple layer and bake for 45-50 minutes. The top crust will be golden brown and the apples will be soft.
Serve this apple pie bar recipe with a scoop of ice cream, caramel sauce, vanilla yogurt or whipped cream.
Making Ahead, Storing and Freezing
These apple pie bars can be made 1-2 days in advance of when you will be serving them. If you want to reheat, place into a 350º F oven for 10-15 minutes, cover with foil to prevent further browning.
Apple pie bars can be stored covered or in an air tight container on the counter for up to 3 days or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Freeze apple pie bars in the pan or individual portions covered or in an air tight container for up to 3 months.
Other Fall Apple Recipes to Try:
If you are looking for other Family Friendly meals or desserts follow along with me on YouTube or Facebook where I share simple recipes to help you with Feeding Your Fam! Make sure to subscribe so you will be notified each time I post a new video!
⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️Tried it and just loved it? Leave me a rating! I would love to hear how it turned out for you! Or even snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @feedingyourfam or #feedingyourfam so I can see what you made!
Apple Pie Bars
Crust and Topping
- 1 cup butter unsalted, cold
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 5 cups apples 4-6 Gala or Fuji apples; peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 350℉ and grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Prepare crust by combining flour, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl. Cut or grate cold butter into flour mixture.
- Mix until a course, sand like mixture forms.
- Press two-thirds of the crust mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes.
- While the crust bakes prepare the apple filling.
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan over medium heat and add in sliced apples.
- Add in flour, sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice and mix with the apples.
- Cook and stir for 4-5 minutes.
- Top the crust evenly with the apple filling topping.
- Sprinkle remaining crust on top.
- Bake 45-50 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool completely for best slicing.
- Nutrition facts are just an estimate
- serve with ice cream, yogurt or whipped cream