Oven roasted butternut squash is a simple, savory and delicious fall side dish that takes just a few ingredients.
Why Roast Butternut Squash?
Butternut squash is a delicious fall vegetable that when roasted has a tasty nuttiness and even a slight sweetness. The squash becomes soft and when combined with butter and simple spices it makes a tasty dish.
Like other squashes, such as acorn squash, butternut squash can be cut into cubes and roasted with just a little oil and seasonings to make something comforting and delicious!
Ingredients You’ll Need for Butternut Squash
You will only need a few simple ingredients to make this simple oven roasted butternut squash side dish. The ingredients that you will need are:
Full ingredient measurements and recipe instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Tips and Tricks to make Roasted Squash
It is so easy to make this recipe for oven roasted butternut squash, just a few steps to prepare the squash, season it and get it in the oven. Let’s walk through the simple steps with a few tips here.
Step 1: to start, clean the outside of the squash with water and a little vinegar if needed.
Step 2: peel the outside of the butternut squash with a sharp knife or vegetable peeler. I like to slice the bottom and the top off of the squash first to help in stand while peeling. Then peel the outside skin of the squash.
Slice the squash in half by first, cutting the thin neck of the squash from the bottom of the squash. Slice the bottom in half and use a spoon to remove the seeds from the inside of the squash.
Then slice the butternut squash halves into smaller cubes. Tip- try to cut the pieces of butternut squash into pieces that are all about 1-1.5 inches, it is best if they are all about the same size so they will cook in the same amount of time.
Step 3: place the butternut squash pieces onto a baking sheet, drizzle with the melted butter, maple syrup and sprinkle on the sea salt, black pepper and thyme.
Toss the squash on the pan with clean hands or a spoon, until it is coated in the butter and seasonings.
How Long to Roast Butternut Squash in the Oven
Now that the squash is all prepped and seasoned, it is time to cook. Heat the oven to 400 º F and roast for 45-50 minutes, shaking the pan halfway through the cooking time.
The butternut squash is done when a fork easily slides into the flesh of the squash.
How to Store Cooked Squash
Squash can be kept in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or frozen for up to 3 months.
If you are looking for other Family Friendly meals or desserts follow along with me on YouTube or Facebook where I share simple recipes to help you with Feeding Your Fam! Make sure to subscribe so you will be notified each time I post a new video!
⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️Tried it and just loved it? Leave me a rating! I would love to hear how it turned out for you! Or even snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @feedingyourfam or #feedingyourfam so I can see what you made!
Roasted Butternut Squash
- 2 butternut squash about 2½ pounds each
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 ℉
- Peel butternut squash by cutting in half and then slicing off the outside skin with a sharp knife or vegetable peeler
- Cut the squash in half again and remove the seeds with a spoon. Slice the squash into 1 – 1½ inch cubes.
- Place onto a baking sheet. Drizzle melted butter over the squash. Then add maple syrup, sea salt, black pepper and thyme.
- Toss squash pieces with clean hands or a spoon to coat in butter and seasonings.
- Bake 45 – 50 minutes, shaking the pan halfway, until fork tender.
- Nutrition facts are just an estimate
- store in an air tight container in the refrigerator after cooking for up to 3 days
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme can be used as a substitute for fresh thyme leaves