Baked Acorn Squash
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This easy Acorn Squash recipe is full of flavor from butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar. Oven baked acorn squash is easy to prep and place in the oven to bake. Acorn squash is a perfect side dish to so many dishes; and don’t leave it off the menu for Holiday dinners, it is always a big hit!!
Looking for other simple side dish recipes? Check out my recipes for Microwave Spaghetti Squash, Oven Fried Zucchini or Oven Roasted Cauliflower.
Baked Acorn Squash Ingredients
Besides the acorn squash, this recipe is made with simple ingredients you most likely already have in your home. For this recipe, you will need:
- Acorn Squash– these are easy to pick up at your local grocery store. I can always find them year round, but they might just be seasonal in the Fall in your area. Beautiful, green, acorn shaped squash.
- Butter– I prefer to use unsalted butter and then adjust the flavor as need with salt
- Brown Sugar
- Sea salt
How to Bake Acorn Squash
There are just a few steps to prep your acorn squash before placing into the oven to bake.
First, slice the top stem off of the squash. Take a sharp knife and go down about an inch from the stem. Hold the bottom of the acorn squash while you carefully slice off the stem.
Next, slice the squash in half by placing it down on the side that you just cut the stem off so that it will sit flat and not roll as you are slicing.
Cut right down the middle of the squash starting at the bottom. Place the knife into the bottom of the squash, you might have to give it a little tap to help it get through the bottom, them slice all the way through to the top.
Use a metal spoon to scoop out all the insides of each half of the acorn squash.
Place the squash into an large oven safe skillet, cast iron pan or 9 x 13 inch casserole dish.
Pour 1/4 cup of water into the bottom of the pan.
Before placing the squash into the oven. Place 1 tablespoon of butter into each half of acorn squash.
Season with cinnamon, nutmeg, sea salt and brown sugar.
How long to bake Acorn Squash
After the acorn squash is all loaded with butter and seasoned perfectly, place into a 400º F oven.
The squash will bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes. You will know the acorn squash is done cooking when a fork slides easily into the flesh of the squash.
If you feel that your squash is getting too brown on top, place a piece of aluminum foil over the pan until the squash is done cooking.
How to Serve Acorn Squash
When the squash is done cooking, remove from the oven and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes, it will be hot! Use a fork to scrape the inside, yellow flesh of the acorn squash in towards the center and mix with all of that delicious caramel butter and brown sugar in the center.
Serve right from the shell of the squash or scrape out into a separate serving dish.
Baked Acorn Squash Recipe
If you are looking for other Family Friendly meals or desserts follow along with me on YouTube or Facebook where I share simple recipes to help you with Feeding Your Fam! Make sure to subscribe so you will be notified each time I post a new video!
⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️Tried it and just loved it? Leave me a rating! I would love to hear how it turned out for you! Or even snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @feedingyourfam or #feedingyourfam so I can see what you made!
Baked Acorn Squash
- 2 acorn squash
- 4 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 400º F
- Slice acorn squash in half and clean the seeds from each half with a spoon
- Place squash into oven safe pan, sliced side up
- Pour 1/4 cup into the bottom of the pan
- Put 1 tablespoon of butter into each squash half
- Season each half with cinnamon, nutmeg and sea salt
- Add 1 tablespoon of brown sugar into each squash half
- Bake the squash for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes, until a fork slides easily into the flesh of the squash
- Remove the squash from the oven and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes. Using a fork, scrape the inside of the squash towards the center and mix with the melted butter and brown sugar.
This easy Acorn Squash recipe is full of flavor from butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar. Oven baked acorn squash is easy to prep and place in the oven to bake.