Microwave Spaghetti Squash is such a simple lunch or delicious side dish! It is easy to make and ready in 20 minutes or less!
Microwave Spaghetti Squash is one of our go to side dishes when it comes to dinner. It cooks up so quick in the microwave and you can top it however you like. We even eat it pretty plain with just a little butter and salt and pepper. It doesn’t have to be fancy, it tastes good on its own.
I prefer to cook spaghetti squash in the microwave, it tastes less like a squash, if you know what I mean. I always feel that when I bake spaghetti squash in the oven it ends up tasting like a pumpkin and that kind of ruins it for me.
How to Cut Spaghetti Squash
Before cooking the spaghetti squash in the microwave, the first step is to cut and clean the squash. With a very sharp knife (and a little muscle) slice off both ends of the spaghetti squash. Stand the squash up on one end and slice down one side of the squash, then down the other side lengthwise to cut the squash in half.
Once you have the spaghetti squash open, use a large metal spoon to scrap and clean out the seeds and yummy guts of the squash. Discard all of the insides of the squash.
How to Cook Spaghetti Squash in the Microwave
Now that you’ve got your spaghetti squash guts all cleaned out, you are ready to cook your spaghetti squash in the microwave. In a medium-large baking dish pour in about and inch of water. If you are using a 9 x 13 inch baking dish, you will need 1 cup of water. Depending on the size of your spaghetti squash, you can determine how much water you will need. You don’t want too much, or it will take too long to cook. Just make sure you water is about 1/2 to 1 inch up the side of your squash. If have a smaller squash, or you are only cooking one half at a time, you can use a smaller dish, like and 8 x 8 or 7 x 11. Since you are baking in the microwave, always use a glass baking dish.
Place the spaghetti squash cut side down in the baking dish with water. Cover the dish tightly with clear plastic wrap.
How Long to Cook Spaghetti Squash in the Microwave
For this recipe, I used a 5 pound squash and it cooked for 15 minutes in the microwave. Your cooking time will vary depending on the size of your squash. If you are cooking both halves of the squash set the microwave for 10 minutes and check the tenderness at the end of that cooking time. If it still needs a few more minutes, cook it in 2 minute intervals until it is tender.
If you are only cooking one half of the squash, start with 7 minutes and check for tenderness. You will want the squash to be soft to the touch. I usually just test the back of the squash with my finger to see if it indents easily.
Carefully remove your cooked spaghetti squash from the microwave and take off the plastic wrap. Your squash should be tender and flake easily with a fork. You can place your cooked squash on a serving dish, shred and top with your favorite toppings, or eat right out of the squash.
Ways to Serve Spaghetti Squash
I like to think of spaghetti squash just like a bowl of spaghetti noodles, without all the carbs! Here are a few ideas to help you enjoy a delicious serving of microwaved spaghetti squash.
- drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper
- add butter and salt and pepper
- sprinkle on freshly grated parmesan, with olive oil
- top with your favorite spaghetti sauce
- drench in some creamy Alfredo sauce
- top with garlic butter and Italian seasonings
There are so many delicious ways to enjoy spaghetti squash. Let me know down in the comments your favorite way to serve and eat microwave spaghetti squash.
Ingredients Needed for Microwave Spaghetti Squash
These are the ingredients just for the basic microwave spaghetti squash recipe. It couldn’t be simpler.
- 4-5 pound spaghetti squash
- glass baking dish
- clear plastic wrap
Microwave Spaghetti Squash Recipe
Microwave Spaghetti Squash
- 4-5 pound spaghetti squash
- 1 cup water
- Prepare the spaghetti squash by slicing off both ends of the squash with a sharp knife. Stand the squash up on one of the cut ends and slice the squash in half lengthwise, doing one side at a time.
- Clean out the seeds and insides of each half of the squash by scrapping with a metal spoon.
- In a glass baking dish, place the squash halves cut side down. Pour in the water so that it goes up about 1/2-1 inch on the side of the squash.
- Cover tightly with clear plastic wrap
- Cook the squash in the microwave for 10-15 minutes. The squash is done when the skin is soft and dents in easily.
- Remove the squash from the microwave and shred with a fork. Top with your favorite toppings.