Yule Log Cake is a delicious chocolate roll cake topped with a creamy chocolate frosting and filled with a peppermint candy cane filling. This Yule Log Cake Recipe is made easily with cake mix and is always the star of any Holiday table. Roll Cakes are irresistible!
Making rolled cakes can be super intimidating and really a lot can go wrong if you don’t follow the instructions. Roll cakes are really pretty easy to make and are always so impressive. Everyone will ‘OOH’ and ‘AWE’ over your beautiful creation. This makes a gorgeous centerpiece for the Christmas treat table and an even more delicious dessert.
How to make a Yule Log Cake
To make a yule log cake, start with the batter. In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer combine the eggs, water, oil and 2 cups of the Devil’s Food Cake Mix.
Beat the batter for 4-5 minutes on medium speed, until the color is a lighter brown and fluffy. Be sure to stop the mixing and scrap down the sides a few times to make sure everything is mixed in evenly.
Preparing a Jelly Roll pan for a Roll Cake
To bake the chocolate roll cake, you will need a Jelly Roll Pan. This is a pan that measures 10 x 1 x 15 inches. I probably overdo it when it comes to prepping the pan, but it really is the worst when only half of the cake releases from the pan after it has cooked!
First, spray the pan on the bottom and the sides with cooking oil spray. Then line the bottom with a piece of parchment paper. Give the paper another light coating of cooking spray.
Pour the batter onto the prepared baking sheet and use a spatula to spread the batter out evenly along the bottom and the sides of the pan. It is important that the cake is spread evenly, you don’t want parts to be really thick or thin.
Bake the cake for 14-16 minutes in a 350º F oven until cooked through. Test the cake by gently touching the center with your finger, if it bounces back quickly the cake is done.
While the cake is still hot, carefully flip it out onto a clean kitchen towel that has been dusted with powdered sugar. I find this is easiest to do by holding the sides of the pan with a kitchen towel and not bulky oven mitts.
Starting on one of the short ends of the cake roll the cake from one side to the other. Place the cake on the seam so the cake will not unroll and allow to cool for 1-2 hours before carefully unrolling.
Chocolate Frosting for Roll Cake
While the cake is cooling, prepare the chocolate frosting that will become the bark of the yule log. In a microwave safe bowl, heat 1 cup of heavy cream just until boiling, cook for about 1 minute. Add the chocolate chips and corn syrup and stir until the chocolate has melted and it is smooth. Add in the vanilla and stir.
Cover the chocolate frosting and set allow to cool and set for about 1 hour, or until the cake has cooled and is ready to frost.
When the cake has cooled completely, roll out and top with the peppermint frosting. Be sure to go all the way to the edges with the frosting, making a nice even layer. Top the frosted roll cake with crushed candy canes.
Roll the frosted cake back together from one short end to the other. Carefully lift and roll the cake to help prevent cracking.
Once the cake is rolled, place on a piece of parchment on top of a cooling rack to frost with the chocolate ganache frosting.
Layer on the chocolate ganache and then transfer to the serving platter. Now it’s time for the fun part.. Creating the yule log. To make the lines and decorations on the yule log, use the tines of a fork. Gently drag the fork along the outside of the log creating the image of bark, you can even add a few simple knots to the wood.
Dust with a sprinkling of powdered sugar and get ready to serve.
Making Ahead and Storing
Yule Log Cake can be made ahead: This cake can be made ahead, but I wouldn’t make it more than 24 hours in advance so that it stays nice and soft. Store covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve, careful not to ruin any of your beautiful decorations.
Can Yule Log Cake be frozen? This cake can be frozen! To freeze, slice into individual slices and place on a parchment lined baking sheet, place in the freeze for up to 2 hours until frozen. You can then take the cake out and layer in an air tight container or zip top bag, being sure to place parchment or wax paper between the layers before putting back into the freezer. Freeze this cake for up to 2 months. To thaw, place in the refrigerator overnight, or just on the counter for a few hours.
Yule Log Cake Recipe
If you are looking for other Family Friendly meals or desserts, follow along with me on YouTube or Facebook where I share simple recipes to help you with Feeding Your Fam! Make sure to subscribe so you will be notified each time I post a new video!
Tried it and just loved it? Leave me a rating! I would love to hear how it turned out for you! Or even snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @feedingyourfam or #feedingyourfam so I can see what you made!
Yule Log Cake
- 2 cups Devil's Food Cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar (to dust the towel with for rolling)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 2 tbsp crushed candy canes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Prepare a 10 x 15 inch jelly roll pan by spraying with cooking spray and lining with parchment paper, spray the parchment paper with a light coating of cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the cake mix, eggs, water and oil. Beat with an electric mixer for 4 minutes, scrapping down the sides frequently. Pour the cake out evenly onto the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes, until the cake is cooked through and springs back quickly when lightly touched in the center.
- Dust a clean kitchen towel with the powdered sugar. Carefully turn the cake out onto the kitchen towel. While the cake is still hot, roll the cake from one short side to the other, rolling the towel with the cake. Allow the cake to cool for 1-2 hours before frosting.
- While the cake is cooking prepare the chocolate frosting by placing the heavy cream in the microwave for 1 minute, bringing just to a boil.
- Add in the chocolate chips and corn syrup, stir until smooth and the chocolate has melted.
- Add the vanilla and stir. Allow the frosting to cool on the counter for at least one hour, stirring occasionally
- In a mixing bowl beat the butter until smooth. Add in the powdered sugar and mix. Pour in the milk and peppermint extract and mix until a smooth frosting has formed.
- Unroll the cooled cake and top with an even layer of the frosting. Roll the cake back up and place on a piece of parchment. Frost the outside of the rolled cake with the chocolate frosting.
- Decorate the cake using the tines of a fork and dust with a fine dusting of powdered sugar if desired. Keep chilled until ready to serve.
- Do not wait until the cake has cooled to roll it up in the towel, the cake will crack and crumble if you wait too long.
- Be sure to evenly coat the kitchen towel where you will be turning the cake out onto
Chocolate Yule Log Cake is a special treat for any occasion. This recipe is simple and made with cake mix, filled with a peppermint frosting and topped with a rich chocolate ganache frosting. Perfect for a family get together or special night with friends.
Other Holiday Recipes to try: