This easy recipe for baked bbq chicken drumsticks is juicy drumsticks slathered in tangy barbecue sauce and cooked to perfection in the oven. For those nights when you are wanting something quick and just don’t fell like firing up the barbecue….it happens.
Oven baked bbq chicken drumsticks
Chicken drumsticks have always been one of our fams favorite meals. Drumsticks are so easy to make and they are always so inexpensive to buy….seriously. If you are cooking on a budget like we are, chicken legs are a great way to make a cheap meal that feels like you spent a lot.
The kids, young and old, love to get in there with their (clean) hands and get all sauced up on their fingers and from cheek to cheek. Make sure you have plenty of napkins on hand!
So if you are looking for an inexpensive and easy way to enjoy bbq chicken legs, look no further.
This recipe is so quick and easy to put together, these are probably items you already have in your home with the exception of the chicken legs, but those are always easy to find.
- Chicken Legs-this recipe can be used with skin on or skinless drumsticks. I use skin on because we like the crispy skin.
- Garlic Powder
- Barbecue Sauce– pick your favorite here. If you like a spicy or sweet brand it is up to you.
- Red Pepper Flakes-these add a nice little kick of heat to the drumsticks, totally optional but I say go for it!
- Apple Cider Vinegar-the vinegar adds a little bit of tangy flavor to the sauce.
How to make Baked BBQ Drumsticks
Start by combining the salt, pepper and garlic powder. Sprinkle the seasoning liberally on all sides of the drumsticks. Place the drumsticks on a foil lined baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. I totally forgot to do this when I made this recipe and it was a mess to clean up, don’t skip this step!
Bake the drumsticks in a 425ºF oven for 30 minutes, flipping half way through the cooking time. At the 20 minute mark, remove the drumsticks from the oven and coat on all side with the barbecue sauce, apple cider vinegar and red pepper flakes mixture.
You will want to remove them from the oven while you baste them because you don’t want to lower the cooking temperature of your oven if you baste with the door open.
When your chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165ºF, use an instant read thermometer to check the temperature. place the chicken on the top rack under the broiler for 2-3 minutes to crisp up the skin.
*My friendly tip for using the broiler is to ALWAYS set a timer. Things cook really quickly under the broiler and can burn easily.
These are the Instant Read Thermometers I like to use: (affiliate links)
Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
If you are looking for other Family Friendly meals or desserts follow along with me on YouTube or Facebook where I share simple recipes to help you with Feeding Your Fam! Make sure to subscribe so you will be notified each time I post a new video!
Tried it and just loved it? Leave me a rating! I would love to hear how it turned out for you! Or even snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @feedingyourfam or #feedingyourfam so I can see what you made!
Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
- 12 chicken drumsticks
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Prepare a baking sheet by covering with foil and spraying with cooking spray.
- Combine the salt, garlic powder and black pepper in a small bowl. Season the drumsticks on all sides with the spice mix.
- Place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake on the center rack in the oven for 30 minutes, flipping the drumsticks over half way through.
- Combine the barbecue sauce, red pepper flakes and apple cider vinegar.
- After 30 minutes. Remove them from the oven and brush with the barbecue sauce mixture on all sides. Bake for an additional 5-10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through to an internal temperature of 165ºF.
- For the last 2-3 minutes, take out the drumsticks and move the oven rack to the top. Turn on the broiler and cook the chicken under the broiler for an additional 2-3 minutes, until the skin is crisp.
What to serve with baked chicken drumsticks:
This easy recipe for baked bbq chicken drumsticks is juicy drumsticks slathered in tangy barbecue sauce and cooked to perfection in the oven.