8 can taco soup is such a simple dinner! Beans, corn, tomatoes, green chiles, and some taco seasoning make this a delicious and healthy meal. This easy taco soup recipe will soon be on repeat on your weekly menu.
This simple taco soup recipe was actually a gift to our family in a time of need. A few years ago my husband had lost his job and we had four little kiddos at home. I was a stay at home mom at the time, so we depended on my husband’s income a great deal!! One night a sweet neighbor rang our doorbell and left a simple brown bag filled with the ingredients to make this soup with an attached recipe card.
What a sweet gift that was at that super trying time for our family. It meant I didn’t need to worry about spending money for one meal that my family would need to eat, it touched my heart deeply and I will forever be grateful for that sweet neighbor who thought to serve my little family with something so simple, but meant so much to us.
Taco soup is one of those staple meals that is now always on our weekly menu. We love this easy taco soup recipe because it is simple to make, comes together in just a few minutes, and is very inexpensive. This is a great way to rotate through some of your food storage, or canned goods.
This soup is not too spicy, in fact, it is very mild. If you would like it to be spicer, you can add 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, or even a sliced jalapeno.
Looking for another simple, weeknight ‘taco’ themed dinners? You’ve got to check out these Walking Tacos.
Ingredients for Taco Soup
These are simple items we usually have on hand in our pantry, for ready-to-make recipes like this one.
- 2 (14.5 oz) can of diced tomatoes- or you can make it a 7 can taco soup and use one big 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes.
- 1 (15 oz) can of tomato sauce
- 1 (15.25 oz) can of black beans
- 1 (15.5 oz) can of pinto beans
- 1 (15.5 oz) can of dark red kidney beans
- 1 (15 oz) can corn
- 1 (4 oz) can of diced green chiles
- 1 oz package of taco seasoning, or make a batch of homemade taco seasoning.
How to make this 8 Can Taco Soup
If you know how to use a can opener, or pull that little tab on the top of the can, then you can make this soup!!
- Prepare the Ingredients: To make this soup open and pour all of the cans and taco seasoning into a large pot and bring to a simmer. You do not need to drain the cans before pouring into the soup, you want all of the liquids to be part of this delicious, easy taco soup.
- Simmer the Soup: The liquids from the bean cans will help thicken up this soup. Once you bring the soup to a simmer, allow it to continue to simmer (a low boil) for another 15 minutes to thicken, stir occasionally to make sure the soup doesn’t get too hot and burn to the bottom of the pan.
- Serve and Enjoy!– Serve as is right out of the pot, or top with your favorite taco toppings like sour cream, shredded cheese, and cilantro.
Can taco soup be made in a crock pot?
This soup is easy to cook in a crock pot. Just throw all the ingredients into your slow cooker and cook on low for 4 hours or high for 2 hours, or check out my slow cooker taco soup recipe for a different variation.
Storage and Reheating
Store any taco soup leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat, place in a microwave-safe bowl and cover with a paper towel. Microwave in 30-second increments until heated through.
If you are looking for other Family Friendly meals or desserts follow along with me on YouTube or Facebook where I share simple recipes to help you with Feeding Your Fam! Make sure to subscribe so you will be notified when a new recipe is shared.
8 Can Taco Soup
- 2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 15.25 oz can black beans, undrained
- 1 15.5 oz can dark red kidney beans, undrained
- 1 15.5 oz can pinto beans, undrained
- 1 15 oz can corn, undrained
- 1 4 oz can diced green chiles, undrained
- 1 oz package taco seasoning
- Pour all of the opened cans with liquids into a large 4-5 quart pot. Turn the heat to medium high and bring the soup to a low boil.
- Cover and turn the heat down to low, allow to cook for 15 minutes before serving.
- Topping Suggestions
- grated cheese
- sour cream
- tortilla chips
- greek yogurt
- lime juice
*Post updated 2/28/2024, recipe was not altered just images and some text.
8 can taco soup is such a simple dinner! Beans, corn, tomatoes, green chiles and some taco seasoning make this a delicious and healthy meal. This easy taco soup will soon be on repeat on your weekly menu.