These BBQ Chicken Wonton Tacos are a full mouthful of FLAVOR! The recipe for these Wonton Tacos is easy to make and is perfect for a weeknight family meal or make at your next BBQ to impress everyone with your amazing cooking skills.
Wonton Chicken Tacos
You have to know how this recipe came to be!! My amazingly talented sister Susie Bulloch from HeyGrillHey.com was invited to cook at the gigantic BBQ competition known as Memphis In May. These BBQ Chicken Wonton Tacos were her incredible creation for her ancillary submission. I mean, who wouldn’t love to have these beauties placed in front of them?! I am fortunate to have been able to test these beauties with her and she let me post this amazing recipe here on my site so we can all enjoy this amazing dish!These Wonton Tacos are full of flavors from BBQ sauce, garlic, ginger, sesame seeds and so much more. Fill those wonton taco shells with awesome ingredients like cabbage, pickled cucumbers, cilantro, carrots and top with a simple and tasty spicy mayo. Follow this simple recipe for a meal that you will come back to over and over again.
How to Make Wonton Tacos
Start by seasoning the chicken thighs, or even chicken breasts on both sides with Hey Grill Hey Sweet Rub. Grill the chicken on the grill at 400ºF or these can even be cooked in a cast iron or skillet over medium high heat until cooked through. This will take about 5-7 minutes.
Cook the chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 165º F. I like to use an instant read thermometer like this Thermapen Mk4 to make sure the chicken is cooked all the way through.
While the chicken is cooking, thinly slice the cucumber and combine with the vinegar, sugar, water and salt. This will allow the cucumber to soak up some of the flavors from the vinegar.
When the chicken is done cooking allow it to rest for 5 minutes while you prepare the BBQ sauce. To make the sauce combine the ingredients for the BBQ sauce in a sauce pan over medium heat. Bring the sauce up to a simmer and turn off the heat.
Chop the chicken into small, bite sized pieces and add to the Asian Inspired BBQ Sauce.
To make the wonton taco shells. Heat 2-3 inches of oil in a skillet over medium heat to 325ºF. Place a round wonton shell into the oil and cook until just golden, flip the shell and cook again. Remove the shell from the oil and fold in half over the handle of a wooden spoon to allow the shell to not collapse in half. Place the shell back into the oil and continue frying until browned. Remove from the oil and place on a paper towel lined plate.
Make the spicy mayo by combining mayonnaise and sriracha. Load the fried wonton wrappers with chicken, cucumbers, carrots, cabbage, cilantro, chopped peanuts, black sesame seeds and a drizzle of spicy mayo.
These wonton tacos are a flavor explosion that the whole fam is going to love them!
BBQ Chicken Wonton Taco Recipe
If you are looking for other Family Friendly meals or desserts follow along with me on YouTube or Facebook where I share simple recipes to help you with Feeding Your Fam! Make sure to subscribe so you will be notified each time I post a new video!
Tried it and just loved it? Leave me a rating! I would love to hear how it turned out for you! Or even snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @feedingyourfam or #feedingyourfam so I can see what you made!
BBQ Chicken Wonton Tacos
- 1 package round wonton wrappers
- 1-2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp Hey Grill Hey Sweet Rub
Asian Inspired BBQ Sauce
- 1 tsp fresh ginger
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp tamarind paste
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup hot sauce, sriracha (or more to taste)
- Heat a grill to 400º F or place a skillet over medium high heat and drizzle with olive oil.
- Season the chicken thighs on both sides with Sweet Rub. Cook the chicken for 5-7 minutes, turning once, until cooked through. The chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165º F
Asian Inspired BBQ Sauce
- While the chicken is cooking, in a small sauce pan over medium heat, combine the ingredients for the BBQ sauce.
- Bring to a simmer and stir to combine. Turn of the heat.
- When the chicken is done cooking, allow to rest for 5 minutes, then slice into bite size pieces and add to the BBQ sauce.
Wonton Taco Shells
- In a large skillet or cast iron pan, pour in 2-3 inches of oil and place over medium high heat. Bring the oil up to 325ºF
- Place the wonton wrappers one to two at time in the oil and cook on each side until just golden brown, remove from the oil and fold around the handle of a wooden spoon forming a taco shell. Place back into the oil and continue to fry until browned on all sides.
- Place onto a paper towel lined plate or baking sheet.
- In a medium sized bowl combine the rice vinegar, water, salt and sugar. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Thinly slice the cucumber and add to the vinegar solution, allow to soak up all the flavors for at least 5 minutes
- In a bowl, combine the ingredients for the spicy mayo and stir until combined
- Assemble tacos by filling the wonton taco shells with chicken, pickled cucumbers, additional toppings and a drizzle of spicy mayo.
- 1 small head purple cabbage
- 1 bag shredded carrots
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1/4 cup salted peanuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
These Wonton Tacos are full of flavors from BBQ sauce, garlic, ginger, sesame seeds and so much more. Fill those wonton taco shells with awesome ingredients like cabbage, pickled cucumbers, cilantro, carrots and top with a simple and tasty spicy mayo. Follow this simple recipe for a meal that you will come back to over and over again.
What to serve with Wonton Tacos: