This Broccoli Potato Cheese Soup is a regular on our menu, especially when it is cold outside. It is creamy and so easy to make! This Cheesy Soup is made with simple ingredients that are easy to keep on hand so you are always ready to through this simple meal together. This is also a perfect soup to serve in a bread bowl, our favorite!!
How to Make Broccoli Cheese and Potato Soup
First, practice your knife skill by chopping up the onion, carrots, celery, broccoli and potatoes. Make sure when you cut the potatoes, you don’t have huge chunks. You want the potatoes to cook in the same time as all of the other vegetables and if you have large pieces, they will take longer to cook.
In a large pot or dutch oven, melt butter and saute onions, celery and carrot for just a minute. Add in the broccoli and potatoes. Pour in the chicken broth and stir to make sure all of the veggies are in the liquid.
Bring to a boil and cook for 5-7 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. While this is cooking, combine the milk and flour that will act as a thickener for this soup.
Once the potatoes are tender stir in the milk and flour mixture and bring back to a boil. Continue to boil another 7-10 minutes, until the soup has reached the desired thickness.
Now that the soup has thickened, you are ready for the final step…adding the cheese. Turn off the heat on the stove before adding the cheese, otherwise the cheese will curdle and make nasty chunks in the soup.
Add the shredded cheese and stir until the soup is smooth and cheese. Serve while warm! Enjoy!!
Ingredients Needed for Broccoli Potato Cheese Soup
- yellow onion
- Russet potatoes
- chicken broth
- sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
Tips for making Broccoli Potato Cheese Soup
This soup is really simple to make, but there are a few tricks to make it a little quicker if you are in a pinch.
- This is a simple soup to make ahead and reheat when you are ready to serve. Store in a airtight container in the refrigerator.
- If you would like to use frozen vegetables for this soup, that is a great option. If using frozen broccoli, chop it into smaller pieces before adding to the soup. It can be added just before the milk as it only takes about 5 minutes to cook.
- Use Sharp Cheddar Cheese for this recipe, preferably not low-fat.
Storing Broccoli Potato Cheese Soup
Broccoli and Potato soup can be stored in the refrigerator in an air tight container for up to 3 days after making it, any longer and the potatoes start to go bad.
This Broccoli and Potato Soup can easily be frozen and saved for later. Store in a large zip top bag or air tight container. Freeze for up to 3 months. To thaw, place in a slow cooker on low for 4 hours or in a pot on the stovetop over medium heat. Can also be thawed in the microwave. Stir until warmed through.
Broccoli and Potato Cheese Soup
- 3-4 Russet potatoes, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped
- 3 tbsp butter
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Saute the onion, celery and carrots for one minute.
- Add in the broccoli and potatoes and cover with the chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 5-7 minutes, until the potatoes are just tender. Meanwhile, mix together the milk and flour until well combined.
- Add the milk and flour mixture to the pot, stirring until smooth. Bring the soup back to a boil and turn down to medium-low heat. Simmer the soup for 7-10 minutes until it has thickened.
- Turn off the heat and add the cheese to the soup, stirring until blended. Serve hot.
More Simple Dinner Ideas:
Broccoli Potato Cheese Soup is a creamy veggie loaded comfort soup! Ready in under 30 minutes and perfect every time!