As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Homemade Chili is a family staple!! Loaded with veggies, ground beef and sausage and the perfect amount of heat. This easy chili recipe will warm you to the core. Perfect served with homemade cornbread.
Easy Chili Recipe
This is a classic chili recipe, but super easy and can be ready in under 30 minutes for those crazy nights!! If you have the time, this can also be placed in your slow cooker to simmer on low for 6-8 hours to let all the flavors get enhanced.
I am usually throwing this together at the last minute as we are getting ready to head out for the next activity. We love to serve this over baked potatoes or with some tortilla chips.
How do you make Homemade Chili
This recipe is easy to make in a hurry. First, brown the ground beef and sausage in a little olive oil. Once the meat is browned, add in the veggies and garlic, saute for a few minutes until those begin to soften.
Pour in the drained cans of dark red kidney beans, black beans and pinto beans. Add the tomato paste, tomato sauce and chicken broth, stir to combine.
Mix in the spices, cover and let those simmer for 10-20 minutes while you clean up and get the table ready for dinner.
This chili does have a little kick of spice to it (you have been warned), if you aren’t a fan of the heat go ahead and cut the cayenne in half, or leave it out.
How Can I Make My Chili Less Spicy?
Chili too spicy?? Don’t stress, you can cool it off! If you look at the ingredients and know that those are going to lite you up, go ahead and make some adjustments. Reduce the amount of chili powder and cayenne pepper, you can even leave out the jalapeno pepper if you need to.
If it’s too late and you’ve already made the chili here are a few tricks that I have found to mellow out the spice.
- Add a few more ingredients; more tomato sauce, ground beef or chicken broth
- Add a tablespoon of brown sugar
- Serve with sour cream or greek yogurt
- Serve with something starchy like bread or potatoes
- Add a little ketchup
Let me know if you give this recipe a try! I would love to know how it turns out for you!! Enjoy!
Homemade Chili Recipe
- 1 pound Ground Beef, lean
- 1/2 pound Mild Italian Sausage
- 1 White Onion, diced
- 2 tbsp Minced Garlic, about 3 cloves
- 1 Red Pepper, diced
- 1 Green Pepper, diced
- 1 Jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 2 Celery Stalks, sliced
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 15 oz can Dark Red Kidney Beans, drained
- 1 15 oz can Black Beans, drained
- 1 15 oz can Pinto Beans, drained
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 15 oz can Tomato Sauce
- 1 6 oz can Tomato Paste
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 2.5 tbsp Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp Onion Powder
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne
- 1/2 tsp Fennel Seed
- Heat a large dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat, pour in olive oil. Brown ground beef and sausage in oil until brown on all sides.
- Add in diced vegetables and minced garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes, until just softened. Pour in chicken stock, tomato sauce, tomato juice and beans. Stir to combine and bring to a boil.
- Add in all spices. Turn down heat to medium-low and cover the chili. Simmer for 20-30 minutes until thickened.