White Chicken Chili is a hearty, delicious soup that is pure comfort, perfect for any time of the year. This white bean chicken chili is made with tender beans, chunks of chicken and a savory broth filled with simple spices.
The whole fam will love this delicious recipe for White Chicken Chili and you will love how easy it is to make in just 30 minutes. This soup recipe is pure comfort, perfect for those chilly winter nights or any night you need something cozy and quick. The simple spices in this soup are easy to customize to your own family’s taste, make it mild or spice it up!
We love this easy white chicken chili recipe, it is on repeat in our home, we also love making this to share at potlucks or family gatherings. It is the complete meal!
Ingredients for White Chicken Chili Soup
There are just a few simple key ingredients that take this chicken chili over the top. Most of these items are things you already have hanging around in your pantry. To make this easy soup recipe, you will need:
- onion– I like to use a yellow onion for this recipe, this can be substituted with a white onion if needed.
- chicken– I start with raw chicken and it cooks right in the broth of this soup, you can use cooked or rotisserie chicken as a substitute
- white beans– I like to use small white beans as well as great northern beans. There really are a few options of beans that you can use in this soup; pinto or garbanzo would be great as well.
- corn– if you can find cans of white corn, it will help to keep the color a little less vibrant.
How to make White Chicken Chili
This is a simple stovetop recipe for White Chicken Chili. To make easy chili recipe, start with a large pot, I like to use this Lodge Enameled Cast Iron Pot when making soups.
Place the pot on the stove over medium heat, pour in some olive oil and add in the onions, peppers, jalapeno, garlic and spices; cumin, cilantro, chili powder and paprika.
Cook, stirring frequently for 1-2 minutes, until it all just begins to soften.
Next, pour in the beans that have been drained and rinsed, the green chiles, corn and chicken broth. Stir to combine with the cooked vegetables in the pan and spices.
Then, add in the chicken. Cover the pan and place over medium high heat. Bring the soup to a boil and allow it to cook for 15-20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
The best way to know if the chicken is fully cooked is to check it with a thermometer. I have and use ThermoWorks thermometers in my kitchen everyday. The chicken is fully cooked when it reaches 165º F.
Once the chicken has cooked through, remove it from the pan and shred into smaller pieces. To easily shred the chicken, I like to take two forks and pull the chicken apart. You can also use your hands, just be aware the chicken will be hot.
I love cooking the chicken in the broth like this because it takes on a lot of the flavors from the spices as well as adding its own flavors to the soup.
Add the shredded chicken back into the soup and stir to mix in. Lastly, add in the sour cream with the heat turned off on the stove. Stir until the sour cream is mixed smoothly into the soup broth.
Storing White Chili
Any leftovers of this soup can be stored in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
This soup also freezes well, place in an air tight container and freezer for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw in the refrigerator before reheating on the stove over medium low heat.
What to serve with White Chicken Chili
This recipe for white chicken chili is a delicious and easy-to-make comfort food. It’s perfect for any occasion, weeknight dinner, chili cook off or neighborhood potluck.
Whether you’re looking for a cozy meal on a chilly night or a hearty lunch to fuel you through a busy day, this recipe has got it all. So gather your ingredients, fire up your stove, and get ready to enjoy a bowl of warm and savory white chicken chili!
If you are looking for other Family Friendly meals or desserts follow along with me on YouTube or Facebook where I share simple recipes to help you with Feeding Your Fam! Make sure to subscribe so you will be notified when a new recipe is shared.
White Chicken Chili Recipe
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 cup red pepper diced
- 1 jalapeno seeds removed and diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 15.5 ounce cans white beans (navy or Great Northern beans) drained and rinsed
- 1 15.25 ounce can white corn drained
- 2 4 ounce cans diced green chiles
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- In a large pot over medium heat, add in the olive oil, diced onions, diced red pepper, diced jalapeno, garlic, cumin, cilantro, chili powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Cook and stir frequently for about 2-3 minutes, until just tender.
- Add the beans, corn and green chiles to the pan.
- Pour in the chicken broth and stir to combine all of the ingredients.
- Add in the chicken and place a lid on the pan. Turn the heat up to medium high and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Reached a temperature of 165º F.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and shred with two forks into smaller, bite sized pieces. Add back into the soup.
- With the heat turned off, stir in the sour cream until smooth and combined.
- you can use a variety of white beans for this soup such as; Great Northern, navy, pinto or garbanzo beans
- if the soup is boiling over while cooking the chicken, turn the heat down to medium
- store any leftover soup in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- top with grated cheese, sour cream and fresh cilantro
White bean chicken chili is made with tender beans, chunks of chicken and a savory broth filled with simple spices that make the most delicious, savory broth. This easy soup recipe is perfect for a quick, cozy meal any day of the week!!