This Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe is loaded with so much flavor, makes an easy meal and comes together in under 30 minutes. Chicken Tortilla Soup has shredded chicken, corn, black beans and a delicious broth with just a touch of spice. Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup is perfect for feeding a crowd or make for a simple weeknight dinner at home. Leftovers freeze so easily as well.
Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup
Is there anything better on a cold day, than a warm, belly filling bowl of soup? We are huge soup fans around here, it’s a one pan meal that everyone can enjoy.
Tortilla Soup is so easy for everyone to make it just how they like. Put out some of your favorite toppings and watch everyone get to work. Some toppings we use eat with this soup are; tortilla strips, cheese, sour cream, cilantro, limes and sliced avocados.
How to Make Chicken Tortilla Soup
Here’s all the tips and tricks to make this simple Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe:
- Start with a large 6 quart pan. I like to use an enameled cast iron pan like THIS one.
- First, cook the chopped onion in some olive oil for 2-3 minutes, until it begins to soften. Add in the garlic and cook and stir for just 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken breasts right into the pan with the onion and garlic. Season the chicken with the cumin, chili powder, salt and black pepper.
- At this point, you will pour in the Rotel tomatoes, tomato sauce and chicken broth to cover the chicken. Bring the soup to a boil and then turn the heat down to medium. Place a lid on the pan and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- The chicken needs to reach an internal temperature of 165º F to be sure that it is cooked through. Easily measure the temperature of the chicken with an instant read thermometer.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and shred into small, bite sized pieces. This can easily be done by using two forks, shredding claws or you can even place the chicken in your stand mixer with the beater attachment.
- Place the shredded chicken breasts back into the pot add in the remaining ingredients.
- Simmer the soup for 5 minutes before serving.
Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
If you are looking for other Family Friendly meals or desserts follow along with me on YouTube or Facebook where I share simple recipes to help you with Feeding Your Fam! Make sure to subscribe so you will be notified each time I post a new video!
Tried it and just loved it? Leave me a rating! I would love to hear how it turned out for you! Or even snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @feedingyourfam or #feedingyourfam so I can see what you made!
Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 10 ounce Rotel tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 15.25 ounce can of corn, drained
- 1 15.25 ounce can of black beans, drained
- 1-2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- In a large 6 quart dutch oven over medium heat cook and stir the onion in the olive oil for 2-3 minutes, until it is soft.
- Add in the garlic and cook and stir for 30 seconds.
- Place the chicken on top of the onion and garlic and season with the cumin, chili powder, sea salt and black pepper.
- Pour in the Cans of Rotel tomatoes, tomato sauce and chicken broth. Bring the soup to a boil, turn down the heat if needed, cover the pot with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes. Cook until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 or is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and shred into bite sized pieces. Place the chicken back into the soup.
- Add in the black beans, corn, lime juice and cilantro. Allow to simmer for an additional 5 minutes before serving.
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- tortilla strips
This Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe is loaded with so much flavor, makes an easy meal and comes together in under 30 minutes. Chicken Tortilla Soup has shredded chicken, corn, black beans and a delicious broth with just a touch of spice.