Black Beans and Rice is such a simple and staple side dish. This Black Beans and Rice Recipe is simply seasoned with onion, garlic and cumin. This is a side dish recipe that you will come back to over and over. Perfect as a side for Taco Night or use it as a base for a delicious Burrito Bowl.
Black Beans and Rice
Do you ever get stumped with those meals time questions of what am I going to serve as a side dish? I’m telling you, this is a daily struggle! This easy Rice and Black Beans Recipe is the perfect answer. It’s pretty quick, hands off and everyone will devour it.
How to make Black Beans and Rice
To make this simple Black Bean and Rice Recipe, you will need just a few basic ingredients. Most of the ingredients are probably things you already have in your home.
First, you are going to start with a diced onion. Get that cooking in a bit of oil until it has softened, about 2-3 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds, that garlic will become nice and fragrant.
Add in the cumin and long grain rice to the pan with the cooked onion and garlic.
For the liquid, drain 1/2 cup of the liquid from the can of black beans and add 1 1/2 cups of water to the pan with the rice.
Lastly, mix in the drained black beans to the pan. Turn the heat to high and bring it to a boil. Cover with a lid, turn down the heat to low and allow it to simmer for 20 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and leave the lid on for 5 minutes before serving.
Black Beans and Rice Recipe
If you are looking for other Family Friendly meals or desserts follow along with me on YouTube or Facebook where I share simple recipes to help you with Feeding Your Fam! Make sure to subscribe so you will be notified each time I post a new video!
Tried it and just loved it? Leave me a rating! I would love to hear how it turned out for you! Or even snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @feedingyourfam or #feedingyourfam so I can see what you made!
Black Beans and Rice Recipe
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1/2 cup black bean liquid
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 15.25 ounce can of black beans
- In a 3 quart pan over medium high heat, cook and stir diced onion in olive oil for 2-3 minutes, until tender.
- Add in garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Season with cumin.
- Add in rice, black bean liquid (from the can of black beans) and water. Stir in black beans, drained of any remaining liquid.
- Bring to a boil, cover with lid and then turn the heat down to low so the liquid is just simmering. Cook for 20 minutes, remove from the heat and let the pan sit with the lid on for 5 minutes before serving.
Black Beans and Rice is such a simple and staple side dish. This Black Beans and Rice Recipe is simply seasoned with onion, garlic and cumin.
What to Serve with Black Beans and Rice:
Some of our favorite main dishes to serve with Black Beans and Rice are: