Loaded with veggies and simple ingredients, this Easy Tortellini Soup Recipe will become a regular on your comfort foods menu. Ready in under 20 minutes for a quick meal.
Tortellini Soup is a regular on our winter soups menu! This Tortellini Soup Recipe is easy to make with just a few simple ingredients. This is a great way to get in some extra veggies. The kids will always eat them if they are on the spoon with a noodle filled with cheese.
How to make Easy Tortellini Soup Recipe
To make this simple Tortellini soup recipe, start by preparing the vegetables. Dice one yellow onion into small pieces, slice baby carrots into thirds and slice 2 celery stalks into slices. You will also need 2 garlic cloves, minced. You can use pre-chopped garlic from the store or mince the garlic yourself.
In a large pot or dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add in the onion, carrots and celery. Cook and stir about 2-3 minutes, until the onion start to get tender. The carrots will take longer to cook, but those will continue to cook as you add ingredients.
Add in the garlic and Italian seasoning and continue to cook and stir for another minute.
At this point, you are ready to make the soup. Pour in the diced tomatoes, chicken broth and season with salt and pepper. Turn up the heat and bring this to a boil. Add the tortellini and cook according to package instructions.
Tortellini usually cook pretty quickly, these will only need to boil for about 5 minutes. Tortellini are done when they are floating.
Ingredients Needed to Make Cheese Tortellini Soup
- Refrigerated 5 cheese tortellini. You can also use frozen tortellini for this recipe if that is what you have on hand.
- yellow onion, diced
- carrots, I like to use baby carrots. You could easily use frozen carrots for this recipe
- chicken broth
- diced tomatoes, canned
- salt and pepper
Tortellini Soup Recipe
- 4 cups cheese tortellini (20 ounces)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup baby carrots, cut into thirds
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- In a 4 quart pot or dutch oven over medium heat, pour in olive oil. Add chopped onions, celery and carrots. Cook and stir 2-3 minutes until tender.
- To the pot add garlic and Italian seasoning and stir until fragrant, one minute more.
- Pour in the chicken broth and tomatoes and turn up the heat to high. Bring to a boil.
- Add the cheese tortellini and cook according to package instructions. Season with salt and pepper.