Everyone loves a comfort food casserole. This Mexican inspired Chicken Tortilla Casserole is so easy to make with just a few ingredients and is perfect for feeding the whole fam.
This delicious chicken enchilada casserole combines tender pieces of chicken breast, enchilada sauce, Rotel tomatoes, layers of tortillas and of course melted cheeses. This Mexican casserole is perfect for delicious weeknight meal or make it to share at a potluck or family party.
Chicken Tortilla Casserole Ingredients
As mentioned it only takes a few staple ingredients to make this simple chicken recipe. To make this Chicken Tortilla Casserole you will need the following ingredients:
- chicken– pre-cooked chicken can be used or I like to start with raw chicken so I can cook it with the onion for extra flavor
- oil– vegetable, canola or avocado oil are all neutral oils that work great in this recipe
- corn tortillas– flour tortillas can be used as a substitution
- Rotel tomatoes– these add such great flavor to this casserole
- enchilada sauce– you can really up the heat with enchilada sauce if you want to go with medium instead of mild
- cheese– I like to use a combination of both cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses
Full ingredient measurements and recipe instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Tips for making Tortilla Casserole
This simple casserole is just like making a lasagna with layers of tortillas, sauce, chicken and beans and cheese. This easy casserole recipe comes together quick.
To make this chicken enchilada bake start with a grease 9 x 13 inch pan and pour in a layer of enchilada sauce. Top the sauce with a layer of tortillas, you can tear them if needed to fill the pan.
Next add a layer of the chicken and bean mixture, more sauce and then a layer of cheddar cheese.
Continue making layers until the pan is full.
For the last layer add more chicken and beans, then top with cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the top of the casserole.
Before baking cover the dish with a piece of aluminum foil and bake for 20-30 minutes, until it is bubbly and the cheese is melted.
For the last 10 minutes, remove the foil and bake uncovered until the cheese is golden and bubbly on top.
Make ahead Chicken Casserole
This Mexican chicken casserole can be made at least 3 days in advance.
To make this casserole ahead, follow the recipe and bake until heated through. Allow the casserole to cool and place, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To freeze, cook and cool, then cover and freeze for up to 3 months.
Reheating Chicken Tortilla Casserole
- Oven- to reheat in the oven, cover and bake for 30-40 minutes if heating from the refrigerator. To reheat from frozen, bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes, until heated through.
- Microwave- reheat individual pieces for 1-2 minutes, until the cheese is melted
How to Serve Chicken Tortilla Casserole
We like to serve this chicken tortilla casserole with our favorite taco toppings. Add some sour cream or greek yogurt, sliced avocados, tomatoes, salsa and a little cilantro.
What to serve with Tortilla Casserole
Some simple side dishes that go well with this dinner are:
Chicken Tortilla Casserole Recipe
If you are looking for other Family Friendly meals or desserts follow along with me on YouTube or Facebook where I share simple recipes to help you with Feeding Your Fam! Make sure to subscribe so you will be notified each time I post a new video!
⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️Tried it and just loved it? Leave me a rating! I would love to hear how it turned out for you! Or even snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @feedingyourfam or #feedingyourfam so I can see what you made!
Chicken Tortilla Casserole
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup yellow onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or neutral oil
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes with chiles 10 ounces
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained, 15 ounces
- 15 white corn tortillas
- 1 can red enchilada sauce, mild 28 ounces
- 1 1/2 cup mild cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 425º F and grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in chicken and onion and cook until the chicken is cooked through and the onion is translucent.
- Add the Rotel tomatoes and drained black beans to the pan with the chicken and onions
- Pour a layer of enchilada sauce in the bottom of the 9 x 13 inch pan. Add a layer of tortilla shells, tearing in half in needed to cover the pan.
- Spoon a layer of the chicken mixture over the tortillas, then sprinkle on a layer of cheddar cheese and more enchilada sauce.
- Continue making layers of tortillas, chicken, sauce and cheese until the pan is full.
- For the last layer sprinkle the Monterey Jack cheese on the top and pour on the remaining enchilada sauce.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and cook for 20 minutes, after 20 minutes, remove the foil and cook for an additional 7-10 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and golden on top.
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- Nutrition facts are just an estimate
- Serve with your favorite taco toppings: sour cream, avocado, salsa and cilantro
- Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days