This ONE POT BROCCOLI CHICKEN TORTELLINI ALFREDO has a creamy sauce covering bite sized pieces of broccoli and chicken, perfectly seasoned and of course quick for a simple weeknight meal!
If you are like me, you are all about quick and simple food! You love an easy meal that doesn’t use up every pot and dish in the kitchen. This Simple Tortellini Alfredo is the recipe you have been looking for and hey, you are getting a good serving of veggies with this one! This whole recipe is cooked using one pot so less time washing dishes too!!
How to Make Broccoli Chicken Tortellini Alfredo
Just a few simple preparations and steps and you are in dinner bliss!! To start, you will want to prep the chicken. Use boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this recipe. I like to buy my chicken pre-trimmed from the butcher so all I have to do is slice into bite sized pieces and cook.
If your chicken is not pre-trimmed, go ahead and remove any skin, bones or fat with a sharp knife and discard. Then you will slice the chicken into bite sized pieces. I do this by starting at the bottom and slicing across the breast, then slice from top to bottom to cut into smaller pieces.
Chicken Alfredo Tortellini
Once your chicken is cut to the desired size, get a large pot or skillet warming up over medium high heat. Pour in the olive oil and add chicken. Brown the chicken on all sides, turning with a wooden spoon. About 2-3 minutes on each side. It does not need to be completely cooked through at this point as it will continue to cook with the tortellini and broccoli in the cream sauce.
Add the minced garlic to the browned chicken and saute for about 30 seconds.
Pour in the half and half and bring it to a boil. As soon as it is in a rolling, bubbly boil dump in the tortellini and broccoli. Don’t worry if the cream does not completely cover the noodles and broccoli. Continue stirring and turning the noodles and broccoli in the cream for about 5 minutes until the broccoli is tender and the tortellini are cooked through.
Tortellini Alfredo Sauce
The last step before digging into this simple, delicious meal is to season! Add one tablespoon of Italian Seasoning and half cup of grated parmesan cheese (or more if you like, I won’t judge!). Salt and pepper to taste.
Stir until the Chicken Tortellini Alfredo Sauce is seasoned just how you like and serve while still warm!
Can I Make Broccoli Chicken Tortellini Ahead?
Honestly, this is one meal that is best served fresh and not made ahead. The reason being, the tortellini will continue to soak up the cream sauce the longer it sits. However, that being said, we do keep leftovers if we have any in the fridge for up to 3 days and just heat up in the microwave. It is still good, just not the same creamy dish as when it is freshly made.
Ingredients Needed for Broccoli Chicken Tortellini Alfredo
For this simple one pot Alfredo dish, you will need the following:
- 2-3 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 5 cups chopped broccoli florets. I just by 2-3 heads pieces of broccoli florets from the produce sections and chop into bite-sized pieces by first removing the stem and then slicing the top into small pieces. You can use frozen broccoli in this recipe if you prefer. I would add the frozen broccoli into the boiling cream for 1-2 minutes before adding the tortellini.
- 1 tsp minced garlic. This is about 2 garlic cloves. You can buy garlic already minced in a jar, this is what I generally use for simple recipes like this one.
- 1/2 c parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 1/2 c half and half
- 20 oz tortellini. For this recipe I used tortellini that is in the refrigerated section at the grocery store. I have not tried this recipe with frozen or dried tortellini.
If you have any questions about the ingredients or this recipe, feel free to leave me a comment!
How to Store Broccoli Chicken Tortellini Alfredo Leftovers
This Chicken Alfredo actually makes delicious leftovers!! Personally, I am a fan of leftovers, but there are some in my fam that could definitely live without them. I say, why waste perfect good food!! This recipe makes an awesome lunch or even dinner again!
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Simply reheat and serve. If you are reheating over the stove, add a little more half and half, just about 1/4 cup. We generally just reheat in the microwave.
BROCCOLI CHICKEN TORTELLINI ALFREDO
BROCCOLI CHICKEN TORTELLINI ALFREDO
- 20 oz tortellini, refrigerated
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 5 cups broccoli florets
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups half and half
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Prepare chicken breast by slicing into bite sized pieces. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large dutch oven or skillet over medium high heat pour in olive oil. Add chicken to pot and brown on each side about 2-3 minute per side.
- Once chicken is browned add in garlic and cook for about 30 seconds until fragrant, stirring constantly.
- Pour in half and half and bring to a boil.
- Once the half and half is boiling, add in the tortellini and broccoli, stir to coat
- Continue stirring and cooking until broccoli is tender and tortellini is cooked through. The chicken should be cooked through at this point.
- Season with Italian Seasoning and parmesan cheese, stir to combine. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve while warm.
Other Quick Dinner Recipes: