Garlic Butter Asparagus is a simple and delicious vegetable side dish. Asparagus is cooked with butter and garlic right on the stovetop to create this flavorful recipe. When asparagus is combined with garlic and butter, it is taken to a whole new level and the best part is, this only takes a few minutes to make.
Asparagus Side Dish
If you are looking for an easy-to-make vegetable side dish that everyone will love, this garlic butter asparagus is it!! You really can’t go wrong when you combine a healthy green vegetable, butter and garlic, like in our other favorite vegetable recipe, garlic butter broccoli. Take the fear out of eating something green by making it taste delicious!! Works every time!
This is a perfect Easter side dish, or really a side dish for any occasion or even day of the week!
Ingredients to make Garlic and Butter Asparagus
You only need 5 super simple key ingredients to make this flavorful side dish recipe. These are things you probably already have in your home. To make this easy asparagus recipe you will need:
- asparagus- the star of the dish here, just need one bunch of fresh asparagus
- olive oil
- garlic- fresh will add more flavor, but you can also use bottled minced garlic if you don’t have fresh.
- salt and black pepper
How to cook Asparagus
First, start by preparing the asparagus. This might sound intimidating, but once you give it a try it is super simple to get your asparagus ready to cook. Rinse the asparagus under cold water and then place on a cutting board.
If you need to know how to cut the asparagus, take one stem and gently start to bend the bottom down, allow it to naturally break.
Then, line that piece of asparagus up against the rest of your bundle and slice them all at the same length. This makes it quick and easy to remove all of the bottoms from the asparagus spears.
Steps to make Garlic Butter Broccoli
Now that you have got the asparagus all prepped and ready to cook. Place a large skillet, I like to use my enameled cast iron pan, over medium heat.
Add the olive oil, butter and garlic to the pan. The olive oil will help prevent the butter from burning while cooking.
Place the asparagus in the pan and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook the asparagus, stirring occasionally, until it is tender. The asparagus will get more vibrant and darker in color as it cooks.
Poke the asparagus with a fork to test the tenderness. If the fork goes easily into the flesh of the asparagus, you are good to pull it off of the heat. Don’t overcook the asparagus as it can get mushy.
If desired, you can squeeze a little lemon juice over the asparagus just before serving for extra flavor.
How to Store Leftover Asparagus
If you have leftover asparagus, place it in an air tight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. This asparagus recipe is great for meal planning, it is easily reheated in the microwave or even an air fryer and will still taste amazing.
Garlic Butter Asparagus Recipe
Garlic Butter Asparagus is a simple, delicious and quick vegetable side dish. Asparagus is cooked with butter and garlic right on the stovetop to create this flavorful recipe.
If you are looking for other Family Friendly meals or desserts follow along with me on YouTube or Facebook where I share simple recipes to help you with Feeding Your Fam! Make sure to subscribe so you will be notified each time I post a new video!
⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️Tried it and just loved it? Leave me a rating! I would love to hear how it turned out for you! Or even snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @feedingyourfam or #feedingyourfam so I can see what you made!
Garlic Butter Asparagus
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Wash asparagus under cold water. Bend one spear at the end until it breaks to remove the woody end. Line up the other asparagus spears to the broken one and trim all of the remaining bottoms.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat, add in the olive oil, butter and garlic. Cook and stir for one minute
- Add in the asparagus, season with salt and pepper. Cook and stir occasionally for 5-7 minutes, until the asparagus is dark green and tender.
- Remove from the pan and pour the butter and garlic over the asparagus
- squeeze lemon juice over the asparagus just before serving if desired
- store any leftover asparagus in the refrigerator in an air tight container for up to 3 days
What to serve with Asparagus
Asparagus goes perfectly with so many main dishes as a side. Some of our favorite dishes to eat it with are: