This Easy Scalloped Potatoes Recipe is a cheesy delicious dish layered with a creamy sauce and just a touch of onion. These scalloped potatoes are easy to assemble, then just sit back and watch them bake in the oven.
What is a holiday or Sunday dinner without a piping hot dish of cheesy scalloped potatoes?! You have got to add this to your menu, this is one of those dishes that never gets old and gets passed down. These Easy Scalloped Potatoes are brought to life with a generous addition of Parmesan and Mozzarella cheeses.
Ingredients Needed for Scalloped Potatoes
This Easy recipe for scalloped potatoes uses just a few simple ingredients you probably already have on hand!
- potatoes thinly sliced
- minced yellow onion
How to Make Easy Scalloped Potatoes
This recipes comes together really quick and easy, the only hard part is waiting for it to cook, the whole house smells amazing!!
To make this recipe, start by slicing the potatoes and onions. I like to slice my potatoes using a sharp knife, it does make the slices imperfect which is fine with me. You can also use a mandolin or if you have an awesome electric slicer use that!!
Once you have all of the potatoes and onions ready to go, start making the cream base. In a medium sauce pan melt the butter, whisk in the milk and season with salt and pepper. You are ready to start layering!
Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
In a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish put down a layer of sliced potatoes, trying not to overlap too much. Randomly spread the minced onion on top of the potato layer, then add a layer of mozzarella cheese on top of the onions and potatoes. Lastly, cover with about 3/4 cup of the cream mixture.
Continue making layers until the pan is full just to the top. This will take about 3 layers. For the final layer, repeat as usual with the potatoes, onions cheese and sauce adding the last ingredient, Parmesan Cheese!!
Cover the pan with foil, place in a 350ºF oven and bake for 1 hour. After one hour, remove the foil and continue to cook for another 30 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown!!
Can I use a Different Kind of Cheese
ABSOLUTELY!! This easy scalloped potato recipe is easy to modify. Go ahead and use whatever cheese you would like, Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack, Swiss….these and many others would be amazing!! Just use the same amount as the recipe calls for and you will have golden, delicious, cheesy scalloped potatoes!!
Easy Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
Easy Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
- 3 large potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. In a medium sized sauce pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and milk. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish arrange the sliced potatoes along the bottom of the pan in a single layer. Sprinkle with about 2 tbsp onions and about 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Pour over 1/3 of the cream mixture.
- Repeat potato, onion, mozzarella and cream layers 3-4 times until the pan is full. To the last layer add the shredded parmesan cheese.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for 60 minutes. After 60 minutes, remove the foil and continue to bake for an addition 30 minutes, until the cheese is golden and potatoes are tender.
What to serve Scalloped Potatoes with:
Other Potato Recipes: