Pea Salad Recipe
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This classic recipe for Pea Salad is a delicious combination of sweet peas, bacon, red onion, cheddar cheese all topped with a simple creamy dressing. Pea salad with bacon is the perfect side dish for family dinners, neighborhood parties or any other holiday potluck you are going to.
Pea Salad with Bacon Recipe
Pea salad is a potluck classic, you will see this easy salad recipe served at backyard barbecues, church socials, family parties or really any holiday gathering. This simple green pea salad is one that has been around for generations, you might even recall your own mother or grandmother serving it, well don’t be the broken link in the chain, you should serve this too! It’s delicious!
Ingredients for Pea Salad
The list of ingredients for this bacon pea salad is actually really simple, and most likely items you already have in your refrigerator or pantry. To make this summer salad recipe you will need:
- frozen peas– these are usually labeled as sweet peas or green peas. You can just leave them out to thaw, or I like to place in a colander and run under cold water for a minute or two to speed up the thawing.
- bacon– just original thickness is all you will need, unless you would like to use a thicker cut for your salad
- cheddar cheese– medium cheddar adds great flavor to this salad. I like to slice into small cubes as apposed to shredding the cheese
- red onion– this can not be substituted with another onion, the flavor just wouldn’t be the same
Pea Salad Dressing
The final touch for this salad recipe is the tangy, delicious dressing. Easy to quickly whip up and toss with the salad ingredients. For this pea salad dressing, you will need:
- sour cream– makes this dressing so yummy and creamy. This can be substituted with Greek yogurt.
- mayonnaise– adds just a bit of tangy flavor and creaminess, can be substituted with miracle whip or avocado mayo.
- apple cider vinegar– perfect flavor for this dressing, can be substituted with red wine vinegar as well
- sugar– just a pinch of sugar adds the perfect bit of sweetness to this salad
- salt and black pepper
- garlic powder– I feel like this is the secret ingredient that just takes this salad over the top
How to make Pea Salad Recipe
To make this simple pea salad recipe, start by cooking the bacon. I like to slice up the bacon into little pieces at first and then cook over medium high heat until crunchy. Remove from the pan to a paper towel lined plate while you assemble the other ingredients.
To quickly thaw the peas, place in a colander and run under cold water until thawed.
Dice the red onion into small pieces and slice the cheese into 1/4 inch cubes.
For the dressing, whisk together the sour cream, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt, black pepper and garlic powder. Mix until the dressing is well combined and the sugar is dissolved.
Combine all of the salad ingredients in a large bowl and pour the dressing over everything. Use tongs or a big spoon to toss the salad with the dressing until it is all coated.
Place the salad in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Leftover Pea Salad
Leftover pea salad can be stored in the refrigerator in an air tight container for 3-4 days. This salad is not good if frozen.
What to Serve with Pea Salad:
Pea Salad Recipe
If you are looking for other Family Friendly meals or desserts follow along with me on YouTube or Facebook where I share simple recipes to help you with Feeding Your Fam! Make sure to subscribe so you will be notified each time I post a new video!
⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️Tried it and just loved it? Leave me a rating! I would love to hear how it turned out for you! Or even snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @feedingyourfam or #feedingyourfam so I can see what you made!
Pea Salad Recipe
- 24 ounces (5 cups) green peas thawed
- 8 slices bacon
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1 cup medium cheddar cheese cubed
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Slice bacon into small pieces and cook over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove from the pan to a paper towel lined plate.
- In a large bowl, combine the peas, bacon, red onion and cheddar cheese
- To make the dressing whisk together the sour cream, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt, black pepper and garlic powder until well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and toss to coat.
- Serve immediately or store covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve
- Greek yogurt can be substituted for the sour cream in the dressing
- store covered in the refrigerator for 3-4 days