Discover the joy of a hot, buttery Homemade Biscuit! These biscuits are buttery, fluffy and perfect for topping with eggs, gravy, honey or jam! This easy biscuit recipe will have you making biscuits all the time!!
Ingredients for Biscuits
- All-Purpose Flour: Make sure your flour is fresh and measure the flour by scooping it into a measuring spoon and leveling off with a straight knife.
- Baking Powder: make sure your baking powder is fresh. It is easy to let these kind of items sit in the back of a cupboard and then they get old, it won’t perform like it should.
- Butter: Opt for cold, salted butter, grated or broken into small pieces for easy incorporation.
- Buttermilk or Milk– To make a buttermilk substitute, mix one cup of milk with one tablespoon of distilled vinegar or lemon juice and let it sit for 5 minutes. This will create sour milk that you can use in place of buttermilk.
How to make Homemade Biscuits
- Combine Dry Ingredients: In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder and sugar until the flour is fine with no clumps.
- Incorporate Butter: Add cold butter; use a pastry knife or grate the butter with a cheese grater until it resembles pea-sized pieces.
- Mix Wet Ingredients: Pour in buttermilk/milk and stir until well combined. The dough will be sticky at this point, so don’t worry.
- Knead and Roll: Transfer the dough onto a well-floured surface, knead for a minute until it is no longer sticky. Roll out the dough to a 1/2 inch thick circle.
- Cut Biscuits: Use a biscuit cutter or a drinking glass (about 2 inches in diameter) to cut out biscuits. Place them on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake Until Fluffy and Golden Brown: Bake in a preheated 425º F oven for 12-15 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- Enjoy While Still Warm: Dig in while the biscuits are warm, fresh out of the oven!
If you are looking for other Family Friendly meals or desserts follow along with me on YouTube or Facebook where I share simple recipes to help you with Feeding Your Fam! Make sure to subscribe so you will be notified when a new recipe is shared.
Easy Homemade Biscuits
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 6 tablespoon butter, cold
- 1 cup buttermilk (or milk, see notes)
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Whisk until fine and no lumps remain.
- Add the cold butter. Cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry knife or two butter knives. Slice up the butter until only small, pea sized pieces remain.
- Pour in the butter milk and stir with a wooden spoon until well combined. The dough will still be a little sticky at this point.
- Roll the dough out onto a well floured countertop. Knead the dough and few times in the flour until it is no longer sticky.
- Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough into a circle, about 1/2 inch thick. Cut out the round biscuit shapes using a biscuit cutter or 2" drinking glass. Place the cut biscuits onto a baking sheet.
- Continue rolling out the dough and cutting biscuits until all of the dough has been used.
- Bake the biscuits for 12-15 minutes, until cooked through and golden brown.
- Nutrition facts are just an estimate
- If you don’t have buttermilk, you can still make this recipe by combining one cup of milk and one tablespoon of vinegar. Let sit for 5 minutes, use this to substitute the buttermilk in the recipe.
Post updated with images only January 30, 2024, recipe remains the same.