Burrito bowls are such a simple and easy one pot meal, loaded with tender chicken, vibrant red peppers and flavorful onions combined with black beans, fluffy rice and colorful corn. A delicious fiesta of flavors that is super easy to whip up any weeknight for a fulfilling dinner ready in under 30 minutes.
Simple one pot meals like this burrito bowl recipe are serious life savers when you have a bunch of people to feed and not much time to do it in. This recipe comes together quick, is filling and makes enough to feed the whole fam, and the leftovers are pretty amazing too.
The bonus of this recipe is that it can be ready in under 30 minutes for those super hungry people. If you are looking for other quick and easy meals to add to your weekly menu, check out my other simple meals that are ready in just 30 minutes.
Chicken Burrito Bowl Ingredients
Burrito Bowls are made with simple ingredients that you most likely already have on hand. To make burrito bowls you will need the following:
Full ingredient measurements and recipe instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to Make Burrito Bowls
Let’s walk through the simple steps with tips and trick to make this easy recipe for chicken burrito bowls.
Step 1: start by heating some avocado oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in the onion, red pepper and garlic. Cook and stir for about one minute until they just begin to soften.
Step 2: Add the chicken to the pan and cook and stir for 2-3 minutes, just until it is browned on all sides. The chicken does not need to be cooked through at this step, just get it browned.
Step 3: to the same pan with the chicken, onions and red peppers add in the remaining ingredients. Pour in the can of Rotel tomatoes, drained and rinsed black beans, drained corn, chicken broth and Jasmine rice. Stir until it is all combined.
Step 4: Bring the liquid to a boil and cover with a lid. Turn down the heat to simmer/low and allow to cook for 15-20 minutes, until the rice is soft and fluffy
Step 5: Stir the dish and top with the grated cheese. Place the lid back on top to allow the cheese to melt. The pan can be removed from the burner. If you want browned parts on top of your cheese, place the dish under the broiler for 1-2 minutes until it is melted and some parts are browned.
How to Store Leftovers
Place any leftovers into an air tight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. This dish also freezes well, place in an air tight container in the freezer for up to 4 months. To reheat, place in the microwave or can be put into the oven covered with foil at 350º F for about 30 minutes.
The leftovers of this chicken burrito bowl recipe also make great burritos, nachos, lettuce or just eat with chips.
Toppings for Burrito Bowls
Some of our favorite toppings to put on top of the burrito bowls are:
- put over lettuce or chips
- sour cream or greek yogurt
- avocados or guacamole
- tortilla chips
Other Quick and Easy Meals You Should Try:
If you are looking for other Family Friendly meals or desserts follow along with me on YouTube or Facebook where I share simple recipes to help you with Feeding Your Fam! Make sure to subscribe so you will be notified each time I post a new video!
⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️Tried it and just loved it? Leave me a rating! I would love to hear how it turned out for you! Or even snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @feedingyourfam or #feedingyourfam so I can see what you made!
Burrito Bowls Recipe
- 1 pound chicken breast sliced into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1-2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can yellow corn drained
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups colby jack cheese shredded
- Heat avocado oil in a large 3 quart skillet over medium high heat. Add in the diced onion, red pepper and garlic cook and stir for about 1 minute
- Add the chicken to the pan and brown the chicken on all sides
- To the same pan add the taco seasoning, black beans, corn, Rotel tomatoes, chicken broth and rice. Stir to incorporate all of the ingredients.
- Bring the skillet to a boil and cover with a lid. Turn down to a simmer/low and cook for 15-20 minutes, until the rice is soft and fluffy.
- Remove the lid and stir the pan. Top with the cheese and allow to melt or place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Nutrition facts are just an estimate
- Store any leftovers in an air tight container for up to 3 days
- Serve with
- Sour cream
- tortilla chips or shells