This Cheesy Taco Pasta Recipe is a homemade version of a hamburger helper recipe, but so much better. This taco pasta is loaded with lean ground beef, taco seasoning, tomatoes, pasta and of course cheddar cheese. This homemade version is so much better than the boxed stuff, the whole family will love it!
Easy Dinner Ideas
Having a family means I am always on the lookout for all the easy dinner ideas I can find. We are on the go and sometimes I only have 30 minutes to throw something together for dinner. Enter this awesome, quick recipe for taco pasta. This can be done in just 30 minutes, family fed and we are on our way!
This recipe for beef taco pasta is so simple and I know your family will enjoy the homemade version so much better. Layers of cheddar cheese make this irresistible!
Taco Pasta Ingredients
This hamburger helper knockoff is made with super simple, pantry staple ingredients. Here is the list of ingredients needed for this easy dinner, full ingredient amounts can be found in the recipe card at the bottom.
- Pasta– for this recipe, I used Cavatappi pasta. Different variations of pasta like, Elbow Macaroni, Shells, Rotini or even Penne can be used.
- Lean Ground Beef– I like to use either 80% beef, 20% fat or 90/10. If you use the 80/20 ground beef, be sure to drain off any excess grease after the beef has been cooked.
- Taco Seasoning– store bough taco seasoning can be used, or you can easily make your own taco seasoning at home.
- Onion– yellow onions are great for this recipe, they have a mild flavor but add just enough flavor.
- Red Pepper
- Rotel Tomatoes– just one can, I prefer mild heat
- Heavy Cream
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese– this is the cheese that adds the best flavor to this dish (in my opinion), however other options can be used; such as Monterey Jack, Mild Cheddar, Colby Jack or any combination of these cheeses.
- Cilantro– Just sprinkle over the dish for the finishing touch
How to make Taco Pasta
Start by cooking the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside until ready to add to the other ingredients.
While the pasta is cooking, in a large skillet, brown the ground beef until it is cooked through. Drain off any excess grease as needed. Pour in the taco seasoning and stir to coat the meat.
Add in the chopped onion, chopped red pepper and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until the onion and peppers are tender.
Add in the can of Rotel and heavy cream. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and allow to simmer for 5-7 minutes, until thickened.
Add in 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese and stir until melted and combined.
Fold in the cooked pasta until it is coated in the cheesy sauce. Add the remaining cheese to the top of the pasta and place under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, until the cheese is melted, bubbly and golden in places.
Can I make this Cheesy Beef Taco Pasta Ahead?
This taco pasta recipe is easy to make ahead and refrigerate or freeze for later. To store in the refrigerator, cover with foil, plastic wrap or place in an air tight container. Refrigerate for up to 3 days after making.
To reheat, take out a portion of what you would like to serve and microwave. Or to reheat the whole dish, place a piece of foil that has been sprayed with cooking spray over the pan and bake in a 350º F oven for 20-25 minutes, until heated through.
To freeze, place into an air tight container or oven safe aluminum pan and cover tightly with plastic wrap and foil. Make the recipe up until adding more shredded cheese to the top of the dish and broiling.
To reheat, cover with foil and bake in a 350º F oven for 40-45 minutes, until heated through. Sprinkle the cheese on top of the dish and broil for 2-3 minutes, until melted and bubbly.
Easy Taco Pasta Recipe
If you are looking for other Family Friendly meals or desserts follow along with me on YouTube or Facebook where I share simple recipes to help you with Feeding Your Fam! Make sure to subscribe so you will be notified each time I post a new video!
⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️Tried it and just loved it? Leave me a rating! I would love to hear how it turned out for you! Or even snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @feedingyourfam or #feedingyourfam so I can see what you made!
Cheesy Taco Pasta
- 1 pound Cavatappi pasta
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 onion, diced about 1 cup
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- In a large oven proof skillet, brown the ground beef. Drain off any excess grease.
- Add in the taco seasoning and stir to coat.
- Add in the onion, red pepper and garlic. Cook and stir until tender, about 2-3 minutes
- Pour in the can of Rotel tomatoes and heavy cream. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 5-7 minutes, until thickened. Stir frequently. Turn off the heat.
- Add half of the cheese to the pan and stir until melted and combined.
- Add in the pasta and stir to coat in the cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the pasta and place under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Store any leftovers in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
This Cheesy Taco Pasta Recipe is a homemade version of a hamburger helper recipe, but so much better. This taco pasta is loaded with lean ground beef, taco seasoning, tomatoes, pasta and of course cheddar cheese.