This Easy Ham and Cheese Frittata is a simple breakfast, brunch or dinner! Loaded with tasty pieces of diced ham, cheddar cheese and onions baked in a delicious egg pie.
This Ham and Cheese Frittata is such a simple way to use up leftover ham, feed a crowd and get food on the table in a hurry. We love making frittata because really you can make them in so many variations, vegetarian, meat lovers, simple with cheese and spinach or really with whatever you have on hand.
What you need to make Ham and Cheese Frittata
- Diced Ham: This is a great recipe to use up some of that leftover ham from your Holiday or Sunday dinner. Simply dice into small, bite sized pieces. You can also use lunchmeat or pre-diced ham in this recipe.
- Eggs: For this recipe I used extra large eggs, but any size will work.
- Cheese: Medium or sharp cheddar cheese
- Onion: diced into small pieces
- Water: cold water to help add a little moisture to the eggs
- Salt and Pepper
Steps to make a Frittata
Heat the oven to 350ºF
To make this simple breakfast, start by cracking all the eggs into a mixing bowl. Add the salt, pepper and water. Whisk the eggs together until all the yolks are broken, yellow and bubbly. Add the shredded cheese.
Begin with a large cast iron or oven safe pan over medium heat. The pan I used for this recipe is 12 inches. Just make sure it is one that can go from stovetop to oven.
Melt one tablespoon of butter in the pan. Add in the chopped onion and cook and stir for 2-3 minutes until translucent and fragrant. Place the ham on the pan and cook for an additional minute until the ham browns a little and is heated through.
Add an additional tablespoon of butter to the pan if needed before pouring in the egg and cheese. Using a spatula pull the cooked eggs in from the edges to the center allowing the uncooked egg to run to the sides. Continue doing this for another minute. The egg will not be all cooked through at this point.
Place the pan in the preheated oven and cook for 25-30 minutes, until the eggs are cooked through. Remove from the oven and serve warm. Slice into triangles just like pie or pizza slices.
Easy Ham and Cheese Frittata
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup ham, diced
- 2 tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- Crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl. Whisk until the yolks are broken, yellow and bubbly. Add in the salt, pepper and cheese and mix to combine.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a 12 inch oven safe or cast iron skillet. Add in the onion and cook and stir for 2-3 minutes until soft.
- Add the ham to the pan and cook until heated through and browned.
- Add the last tablespoon of butter to the pan. Pour the egg and cheese mixture to the pan. Using a spatula scrape the cooked eggs in from the edges to the center of the pan for another minute. The egg won't be cooked all the way through at this point.
- Place the pan into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until cooked through.
Ham and Cheese Frittatas are a simple breakfast, brunch or dinner! Loaded with tasty pieces of diced ham, cheddar cheese and onions baked in a delicious egg pie.