Chocolate Eclair Cake is an easy no bake dessert recipe that is always a huge crowd pleaser. Eclair cake is layers of graham crackers, instant vanilla pudding and chocolate frosting. This recipe comes together quick and is perfect for those days when you just don’t want to turn on the oven.
Eclair Cake Recipe
We love a good no bake dessert recipe and this one is at the top of our favorites list. I love how simple this recipe is to make, and it is one of those recipes that is handed down in the fam or even just passed around the neighborhood, because everyone loves it.
Save this simple icebox cake recipe for the next family gathering, backyard bbq or potluck, it is always a hit!
Ingredients for Chocolate Eclair Cake
This chocolate eclair is just too easy to make and only takes a few ingredients. For this recipe, you will need:
- instant vanilla pudding– make sure it is instant setting pudding
- milk– whole milk will make this recipe creamier, but any variety will work fine
- whipped topping– thaw on the countertop for about 10 minutes before mixing in, or longer if it is frozen solid
- graham crackers– these are the delicious layers in the cake
- chocolate frosting– I like to use a rich milk chocolate frosting
Full ingredient measurements and recipe instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to make Refrigerator Eclair Cake
To make this simple eclair cake recipe, start by mixing together the instant pudding, milk and whipped topping. Place them all into a large mixing bowl and whisk together until everything is well combined and the pudding is all mixed in.
Place a layer of graham crackers all along the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Break up pieces of graham crackers to fit them all along the bottom of the pan.
Cover the graham crackers with a layer of the pudding mixture and spread it evenly over the top of the crackers.
Once the pudding layer is evenly spread over the top of the graham crackers, lay down another layer of the graham crackers.
Continue making another layer of graham crackers and then pudding, ending with a last layer of graham crackers at the top.
The last layer of the eclair cake will be the frosting. To make it easier to spread over the top of the graham cracker layer, place the frosting in the microwave for 30 seconds, then stir, it will easily pour over the top.
Use a spatula to evenly spread the chocolate frosting over the top of the graham crackers. If you don’t want to use canned frosting as simple substitute is this microwave chocolate ganache.
Place the cake into the refrigerator for at least 3 hours before serving to allow everything to chill and set.
Can I make Eclair Cake ahead?
This cake is simple to make a day in advance of when you will be serving it. Simply follow the recipe directions and keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
How to Store Eclair Cake
This cake will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The graham crackers will continue to get softer the longer it has been kept in the refrigerator. Keep covered with plastic wrap if storing for more than one day.
Chocolate Eclair Cake Recipe
If you are looking for other Family Friendly meals or desserts follow along with me on YouTube or Facebook where I share simple recipes to help you with Feeding Your Fam! Make sure to subscribe so you will be notified each time I post a new video!
⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️Tried it and just loved it? Leave me a rating! I would love to hear how it turned out for you! Or even snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @feedingyourfam or #feedingyourfam so I can see what you made!
Chocolate Eclair Cake
- 2 instant vanilla pudding packets 3.5 ounces
- 3 cups milk
- 8 ounces whipped topping thawed
- 16 ounces graham crackers
- 16 ounces prepared chocolate frosting
- Line the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with a single layer of graham crackers, break the crackers to fit all the way to the edges.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the milk and pudding packets until the pudding is dissolved into the milk. Fold in the whipped topping until combined.
- Spread a layer of the pudding mix over the top of the graham crackers.
- Place another layer of graham crackers on top of the pudding layer.
- Spread the other half of the pudding mixture over the top of the graham crackers.
- Place the last layer of graham crackers over the top of the pudding layer.
- Spread the frosting over the top of the last graham cracker layer. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.
- Nutrition facts are just an estimate
- To make the frosting easier to spread, microwave without the lid for 15-30 seconds.