This Strawberry Pretzel Salad Recipe is a fam favorite!! A delicious crust made of pretzels topped with a layer whipped cream cheese all topped off by a simple strawberry filled jello layer. This simple strawberry pretzel salad is perfect as side dish or a dessert, feeds a crowd and never has any left overs!!
Looking for other simple Jello salad ideas? Check out my recipe for this simple Berry Cheesecake Fluff Salad!
Strawberry Pretzel Salad
Do you ever have those moments when you have no idea what to bring to a potluck or family dinner? Oh, I know you do, we all do!!! I’ve got you covered with the strawberry pretzel salad!
This Strawberry Pretzel Salad will be one you come back to time and time again!! This is the recipe you will be asked to bring to all those family parties, dinners or picnics for years to come! You are going to love how simple this is to make, just a few ingredients and some chilling time and you are good to go!
Let’s jump right in to the steps to make this simple strawberry pretzel salad recipe.
How to make Strawberry Jello Pretzel Salad
The first step to making this pretzel salad is to make the crust.
- In a food processor, blender or even a zip top bag, crush the pretzels until they are a fine crumb consistency. To do this in a zip top bag, use a rolling pin and roll back and forth over the pretzels until they are all crushed.
- Add the melted butter and sugar to the pretzels and mix until well combined.
- Next, pour your pretzel crust mixture into a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish and spread out until it is even across the bottom.
- Using the back of a measuring spoon or even the bottom of a drinking glass, press the crust into the bottom of the baking dish. Make sure the crust goes right up to the edges of the pan. This will prevent the jello from leaking through to the bottom of the pan.
- Place your evenly pressed crust into a 400ºF oven and bake for about 8 minutes, until it is golden brown.
- Remove it from the oven and allow it to cool completely before you move to the next layer.
How to make Cream Cheese Layer for Pretzel Salad
Next, you will put together the whipped cream cheese layer for this pretzel salad. This gives so much flavor and texture to this pretzel salad, it’s like adding a layer of cheesecake!! And no pre-made whipped topping!!
- To make this whipped cream cheese layer, start with room temperature (softened) cream cheese. Place the cream cheese in a large mixing bowl with vanilla and powdered sugar.
- With an electric mixer or stand mixer, whip the cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth and well combined. Scrap down the sides of the mixing bowl and pour in the whipping cream.
- Mix the whipping cream and cream cheese mixture until soft peaks form in the mixture, about 2 minutes. The cream will combine with the cream cheese as it is mixed will begin to thicken. Do not over mix!!
- Pour your cream cheese mixture over the top of the cooled pretzel crust. Using a spatula or spoon, evenly spread the whipped mixture all the evenly across the crust and all the way to the edges, again to make sure the jello won’t slip through.
Note: you can use pre-made whipped topping for this layer if you prefer. Just mix the whipped topping with the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla before adding to the pretzel crust.
How to make Strawberry Jello Layer
The last and final layer to this delicious strawberry pretzel salad is the strawberries and jello!
- First, in a mixing bowl combine one package of strawberry jello and boiling water. Stir until the jello is dissolved.
- Next, add in the frozen strawberry slices and stir for 1 minute. The frozen strawberries will help the jello cool and set faster.
- I like to pour the jello over and slotted spoon to hold back the strawberries and this also helps prevent craters from forming in the cream mixture.
- Once you have poured the jello over the cream mixture, spoon the strawberries back into the jello.
- Place the strawberry pretzel salad in the refrigerator, uncovered for at least 2 hours before serving to allow the jello to set.
Ingredients for Strawberry Pretzel Salad
For the crust:
- pretzels: any shape, they are just going to be crushed for the crust.
For the whipped cream cheese layer:
- cream cheese: I like to use regular cream cheese, but a lower fat version would also work in this recipe
- powdered sugar
For the Jello layer:
- Strawberry Jello
- Frozen strawberry slices
Please don’t feel intimidated by the steps in this recipe, once you give it a try you will be surprised at how quickly this comes together. I hope this becomes a recipe you share with those you love over and over again! Enjoy!!
Strawberry Pretzel Salad Recipe
- 2 cup pretzels, crushed
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
Whipped Cream Cheese Layer
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
Strawberry Jello Layer
- 6 oz Strawberry Jello mix
- 2 cups boiling water
- 4 cups frozen sliced strawberries
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Prepare a 9 x 13 inch baking dish by spraying with cooking spray.
- In a food processor or blender crush pretzels until they measure 2 cups crushed. Add in melted butter and sugar and pulse until combined. Pour the crust mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- With the back of a measuring spoon or drinking glass, press the crust evenly into the bottom of the pan. Place the crust in the oven and bake for about 8 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl combine the cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla. Using a hand or stand mixer whip to combine. Scrap down the edges and add in the cream. Whip the cream and cream cheese mixture until smooth and soft peaks form.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture over the top of the pretzel mixture. Spread out evenly making sure to seal the edges.
- In another mixing bowl combine the jello and boiling water and stir until the jello is completely dissolved. Add in the frozen strawberry slices and stir for 1 minute to cool the jello.
- Carefully pour the jello mixture over a slotted spoon onto the cream cheese layer. Spoon the strawberries evenly throughout the jello. Place in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours to allow the jello to set.
- Pre-made whipped topping can be used in place of the whipped cream in this recipe. To use whipped topping simple combine the cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla and fold in the whipped topping. Top over the pretzel layer as instructed.
Other Simple Fruit Side Dish Ideas:
This Strawberry Pretzel Salad Recipe is a fam favorite!! A delicious crust made of pretzels topped with a layer whipped cream cheese all topped off by a simple strawberry filled jello layer.