Homemade Nacho Cheese Sauce is so easy to make and takes just a few ingredients. Get ready to pour this over tortilla chips, tacos, burritos or even eat it by the spoonful. Follow along for simple tips and tricks to make the most sensational homemade nacho cheese.
Homemade Nacho Cheese
I know you can just picture this gooey, warm, cheesy, delicious nacho cheese sauce topped onto your favorite tortilla chips! It adds a little touch of spice and so much creamy, cheesy flavor.
Nacho cheese sauce is just perfect to serve when you are hosting guests, serve alongside your favorite taco recipe or make a big nacho bar!
Nacho Sauce Ingredients
This Nacho Sauce Recipe is pretty simple to make and comes together super fast. You will need just a few ingredients to make the perfect nacho sauce recipe. Here is what you will need to pull out of the fridge/pantry or pick up from the store:
- all purpose flour
- shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- cayenne seasoning
- hot sauce (such as Sriracha)
- salt and black pepper
⭐️ Full ingredient measurements and recipe instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to make Nacho Cheese
Nacho cheese is a recipe that even the beginner cook can make with ease, just follow my simple steps for a smooth, creamy nacho cheese every time.
To start, place a large skillet or pan over medium heat. Melt the butter in the pan.
After it is just melted, add in the flour and stir until it is mixed together, I like to use a whisk when mixing in the flour and the next few ingredients.
Next, pour in the milk and continue to whisk until the sauce thickens and is lightly boiling.
Remove from the heat and add in the cayenne, hot sauce and salt and pepper. Add in the grated cheese and stir until smooth.
Serve while still warm.
Tips for making Nacho Cheese
When adding in the cheese, be sure to remove the pan from the heat. The cheese can curdle and cause a grainy or lumpy cheese if it is added to a liquid that is too hot.
Use a whisk to mix in flour and milk together smoothly.
Keep warm over a very low heat, and stir frequently.
Storing Nacho Cheese
If you are making this recipe ahead, store in an air tight container in a refrigerator for 2-3 days.
To reheat nacho cheese,
place in a pan over low heat and stir frequently to keep smooth and heat through. Small batches can be heated and stirred in the microwave until heated through. Start with 30 seconds, stir and heat again if needed.
Nacho Cheese Sauce Recipe
If you are looking for other Family Friendly meals or desserts follow along with me on YouTube or Facebook where I share simple recipes to help you with Feeding Your Fam! Make sure to subscribe so you will be notified when a new recipe is shared.
Nacho Cheese Sauce Recipe
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper seasoning
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce Sriracha
- salt and black pepper to taste
- In a 10-12 inch skillet over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Whisk the flour into the melted butter until blended. Pour in the milk and whisk until smooth.
- Stir over medium heat until thickened and just boiling.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cayenne, hot sauce and salt and black pepper.
- Stir in the shredded cheese until it is all melted in and the sauce is smooth.
- Serve immediately while still warm.
- Nutrition facts are just an estimate
- Makes about 2 1/2 cups of sauce
- Keep warm to serve. The sauce will thicken as it cools.
- Store in the refrigerator in an air tight container