Caramelized Onion Dip
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Caramelized Onion Dip is a total show stopper. This creamy, delicious onion dip recipe made with cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise and caramelized onions is a huge crowd pleaser. Served with crunchy potato chips or veggie sticks makes this the perfect appetizer.
Homemade French Onion Dip
There is this cute new restaurant near our home that serves up this delicious caramelized onion dip. It is irresistible, so of course I had to figure out my own recipe for it so I can make it whenever I have a craving.
That is the only warning I will give of how addicting this onion dip recipe really is, it is one that you must share, or you will devour it all yourself. It is that good.
How to make Caramelized Onion Dip
I do love the name French Onion Dip for this Caramelized Onion Dip as well, since it starts with some super flavorful onions that have been cooked down until they are sweet and caramelized, just like in French Onion Soup.
To make this easy onion dip, start with thinly sliced onions, add them to a pan with butter and salt and cook on medium high heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently until they are tender.
After the 5 minutes of cooking add in the sugar and water. The sugar really helps the onions develop so much flavor and caramel color.
Turn down the stove to medium heat and continue to cook and stir occasionally for about 20 minutes, until the onions are very soft, sweet and caramelized.
Remove the onions from the heat and allow to cool while you prepare the cream cheese dip part of the recipe.
In a large bowl, mix together the cream cheese, mayonnaise, garlic powder and sour cream. I like to use an electric mixer to make this combination extra smooth. Beat on medium heat for about 1 minute. Make sure you are starting with room temperature cream cheese, this will help eliminate any lumps in your dip.
Now you can fold those delicious caramelized onions into that cream cheese dip mixture. Just use a spatula to fold the onions into the mixture. It’s okay if the onions are still warm, they will help make the dip nice and smooth.
Top with thinly sliced green onions if desired and serve to your party guests immediately.
What to serve with Caramelized Onion Dip Recipe
This onion dip goes perfectly with:
- cucumber slices
- carrot sticks
- celery sticks
- spread on crusty bread slices
- potato chips
- we like the kettle chips or potato chips with ridges
- corn chips
- pita chips
Can this Onion Dip be made ahead?
This onion dip is perfect for making ahead. Make it a day ahead and store in the refrigerator in an air tight container, the flavors will get even more delicious after one day.
Keep this easy dip recipe fresh in the refrigerator in an air tight container for up to one week, if by some freak accident you actually have any left over.
Caramelized Onion Dip Recipe
If you are looking for other Family Friendly meals or desserts follow along with me on YouTube or Facebook where I share simple recipes to help you with Feeding Your Fam! Make sure to subscribe so you will be notified each time I post a new video!
⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️Tried it and just loved it? Leave me a rating! I would love to hear how it turned out for you! Or even snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @feedingyourfam or #feedingyourfam so I can see what you made!
Caramelized Onion Dip Recipe
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 yellow onions thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon green onion optional for garnish
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt butter and add in sliced onions and salt. Cook and stir for 5 minutes, until onions are just beginning to softened.
- Add in the sugar and water and stir to combine, turn down the heat to medium and continue to cook and stir occasionally until the onions are very tender and a caramel color, about 20-25 minutes
- Remove the onions from the heat and allow to cool
- In a large mixing bowl combine the cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise and garlic powder. Mix together with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy, about one minute
- Fold the caramelized onions into the cream cheese mixture and serve immediately or store in the refrigerator in an air tight container until ready to serve.
- Garnish with sliced green onion if desired
- this recipe can be made a day ahead, the flavors will be even more intense
- serve with your favorite sliced vegetables, bread or potato chips
Some of the fam’s favorite appetizers to try:
This creamy, delicious onion dip recipe made with cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise and caramelized onions is a huge crowd pleaser.