Just one pan and 30 minutes is all you need to make this simple Chicken Fajita Recipe. Loaded with chicken, peppers and onions in a simple seasoning, this fajita recipe will soon become a regular on your fam meal menu.
One Pan Chicken Fajitas
If you are on the hunt for an easy dinner idea that is flavorful, packed with protein and veggies, then this simple chicken fajitas recipe is just for you!
The chicken is cooked perfectly so that it is tender and moist and the peppers and onions are the perfect addition to any fajita. The spices are things you already have in your pantry (if not, time to stock up) and the spiciness level is totally up to you! Don’t forget that last squeeze of fresh lime juice for an extra tasty touch of flavor.
Ingredients for Chicken Fajitas
This recipe really is so simple, you will for sure be adding this to your regular dinner menu. To make this recipe you will need some chicken breasts, peppers, onions and just a few spices. This is what you will need to make homemade chicken fajitas:
- chicken breasts or chicken thighs– either will work in this recipe, make sure they are skinless and boneless. Slice into small strips
- peppers– red, yellow and orange make for a tasty and colorful fajita
- onion– a yellow onion is what is used in this recipe, but a red or white onion will work great as well.
- avocado oil– for cooking everything in, another neutral oil will work also
- small tortilla shells– we prefer flour tortillas for this, but corn would be great too
Fajita spice mix, very similar to my taco seasoning mix
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- black pepper
⭐️ Full ingredient measurements and recipe instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to Cook Chicken Fajitas in One Pan
Once you have gathered your ingredients, start by cooking the chicken in some avocado oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Flip the chicken occasionally to make sure it browns on both sides.
The chicken will cook quickly since it is sliced into smaller pieces. Cook the chicken for 5-6 minutes, until fully cooked through.
Remove the chicken from the pan to a clean plate and then add in the sliced peppers and onion, add more oil if needed.
Cook and stir the onions and peppers over medium high heat until they are soft and browned in some places. This will take another 5-7 minutes for them to fully cook.
Add the chicken back into the pan.
Mix together the spice mix and pour over the chicken and vegetables in the pan.
Stir everything together in the pan until it is all coated in the seasoning. You can add a tablespoon of water to the pan to help the seasonings stick to the chicken and veggies if needed.
Squeeze fresh lime juice over the chicken fajita mixture just before serving for an extra kick of flavor.
Now it’s time to assemble your fajitas. Spoon some of the warm fajita mixture into flour tortillas and top with your favorite toppings. We love to load these up with home with fresh salsa, cilantro, avocados, guacamole and even some sour cream.
Tips for making Homemade Fajitas:
- Heat the oil in the pan before adding in the chicken so that it will get a nice sear on the outside.
- Use an instant read thermometer to make sure that the chicken is cooked to the right temperature, this will ensure that your chicken is not too dry or under cooked. The chicken should be cooked to 165º F
- Don’t over cook the vegetables to the point that they are mushy
- Serve with warm tortillas
Chicken Fajitas Recipe
If you are looking for other Family Friendly meals or desserts follow along with me on YouTube or Facebook where I share simple recipes to help you with Feeding Your Fam! Make sure to subscribe so you will be notified when a new recipe is shared.
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 1/2-2 pounds chicken breasts thinly sliced into strips
- 1 yellow pepper sliced into strips
- 1 red pepper sliced into strips
- 1 orange pepper sliced into strips
- 1 yellow onion sliced into strips
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in the chicken and cook and stir until fully cooked through, about 5-7 minutes
- Remove the chicken from the pan to a clean plate
- Add the sliced peppers and onion to the pan with more oil if needed. Cook and stir until tender about 5-7 minutes.
- Combine the spices for the fajita spice mix
- Add the chicken back into the pan with the cooked peppers and onions. Season with the prepared spice mix.
- Stir to coat with the spices and serve in warm tortillas with your favorite toppings.
- Nutrition facts are just an estimate
- Cook chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 165º F
- Serve with warm tortillas, salsa, cilantro, sour cream, avocados and other simple toppings