This easy blueberry muffin recipe is made with just a few simple ingredients like butter, sugar, eggs, and sour cream. Blueberry muffins can be mixed in one bowl and come out moist and delicious, perfect for a quick breakfast. You can’t beat a sweet, warm blueberry muffin!
Blueberry muffins are just such a classic breakfast treat, that everyone absolutely enjoys. This recipe for homemade blueberry muffins will easily become the one you come back to over and over.
Muffins are a go-to choice at your favorite bakery, coffee shop or even grocery store, but honestly, they are so much better made right at home.
This recipe can be made with fresh or frozen blueberries and come out rich with flavor, yet still soft and moist.
Ingredients for Easy Blueberry Muffin Recipe
There is nothing quite like a warm, homemade blueberry muffin in the morning. You too can make bakery-style blueberry muffins, that are even better, right at home with just a few ingredients.
To make these homemade blueberry muffins you will need:
- butter– I prefer to use unsalted butter when baking
- eggs– make sure they are at room temperature
- sour cream– bring to room temperature before mixing in, Greek yogurt can be substituted.
- vanilla– a good Mexican vanilla will add so much flavor
- baking soda
- blueberries– this recipe calls for fresh blueberries, but frozen blueberries can be used as well, just keep them frozen until you mix them into the batter to avoid adding more liquid to the batter.
⭐️ Full ingredient measurements and recipe instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Tips for making the Best Blueberry Muffins
To make moist, homemade blueberry muffins, start by creaming together the sugar and butter, until it is fluffy and well combined.
Next, add the egg, sour cream, and vanilla. Make sure these ingredients are at room temperature before mixing them into the muffin batter. Beat them together with the butter and sugar until combined, about 2 minutes.
Use an electric mixer or stand mixer to combine the wet ingredients (butter, sugar, eggs, sour cream, and vanilla) until the mixture is smooth and fluffy.
Next, sift in the dry ingredients. I like to easily do this by placing a mesh strainer over the top of the mixing bowl, then add in the dry ingredients and gently tap the side of the strainer to sift the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
Mix in the dry ingredients until combined, being sure to scrap down the sides of the bowl while mixing to make sure everything is incorporated.
Next, add the blueberries to the batter. Use a spatula to gently fold the batter around the blueberries and to get them mixed throughout the batter.
Scoop the blueberry muffin batter into a muffin tin that has been lined with liners. If you don’t have liners, you can grease the muffin tin with cooking spray of butter to prevent the muffins from sticking to the pan.
I like to use a large cookie scoop to get the batter into the muffin tin, you can also use two large spoons or even a small measuring cup.
Fill the muffin tin about 3/4 of the way full with blueberry muffin batter, the muffins will grow when baked.
If desired, before baking, add a brown sugar crumble topping. This adds a delicious, sugary crunch to every bite of the blueberry muffin, but is optional and these muffins are still incredibly delicious without it.
How long to bake Blueberry Muffins
Place the prepared blueberry muffins into a 375º F oven. Bake the muffins for 25-30 minutes, until they are golden on top and cooked through.
Test the doneness of the muffins by poking a toothpick into the center, if it comes out without any wet dough on it, they are done.
If you are looking for other Family Friendly meals or desserts follow along with me on YouTube or Facebook where I share simple recipes to help you with Feeding Your Fam! Make sure to subscribe so you will be notified when a new recipe is shared.
Homemade Blueberry Muffins
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 3/4 cup sour cream room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup blueberries
Brown Sugar Topping
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375º F and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners
- In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer, combine the butter and sugar until fluffy, about 2 minutes
- Add in the eggs, sour cream and vanilla. Continue to mix until well combined, another 2 minutes
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into the butter mixture. Mix with the mixer until everything is combined, scraping down the sides to make sure everything gets mixed in.
- Use a spatula to fold the blueberries into the muffin batter
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling them 3/4 of the way full
- For the topping, combine the butter, flour, brown sugar, sugar and cinnamon until it is like sand. Sprinkle over the tops of the muffins before baking.
- Bake the muffins for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean
- Nutrition facts are just an estimate
- Frozen blueberries can be used in this recipe, just be sure to keep them frozen until adding to the batter so no extra moisture is added