As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Coleslaw Recipe is a simple combination of cabbages, carrots and onions all dressed in a simple, tangy coleslaw dressing. This simple coleslaw is perfect for as a simple side dish or piling on top of a pulled pork sandwich.
This Coleslaw Recipe is super simple to make. We love to have this salad as a simple side dish for BBQs, neighborhood parties or family get togethers. We are those people that make this just to put on top of a pull pork sandwich like I mentioned above, it is so good, my sound crazy but definitely give it a try!!
What goes into Coleslaw
Coleslaw is such a simple recipe to make. For this recipe you will need the following ingredients:
- Green cabbage-I like to use half green cabbage and purple cabbage when I make coleslaw, but if you just have or only want to use green cabbage, that will work as well.
- Purple cabbage- this just add so much color and variety to this salad
- Red onion- thinly sliced, this onion adds flavor and crunchy texture
- Green onions-slice from the white end including both the white and green parts of the green onions
- Shredded carrots- purchase whole carrots, wash and peel them, them use a cheese grater to grate the cheese into the salad
For the coleslaw dressing:
- Mayonnaise- you could also substitute a low fat mayonnaise in this recipe if desired
- Apple cider vinegar- adds a little bit of acidity and tang to this recipe, so good
- Spicy brown mustard- I love adding this spicy brown mustard to this coleslaw recipe. It add just a bit of spice and crunch.
- Sugar-adds just a touch of sweetness
- Salt and Pepper to taste
This coleslaw recipe takes just a few minutes to put together. Thinly slice the cabbages, red onions and green onions. Grate the carrots with a cheese grater. Add all of these to a large bowl and toss to combine.
Mix together the ingredients for the dressing and pour over the cabbage mixture. Mix to make sure all of the salad is combined evenly. Cover the salad tightly with a lid or plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving to allow the dressing to marinade the salad.
What to serve with Coleslaw
Coleslaw is delicious as a side dish for simple BBQ like this Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Recipe, Marinated Flank Steak or even this Cast Iron Tri Tip Roast. Pile it on top of pulled chicken or pork sandwiches to add a ton of flavor and crunch!
How to Store Coleslaw
Homemade coleslaw will usually last 3-5 days if kept in an air tight container in the refrigerator. The coleslaw will start to get watery and gross if left in the fridge for too long.
Always keep the coleslaw chilled and covered. If you are taking this to a party, make sure it will be kept chilled and don’t leave out for more than two hours, especially if it is warm where you are serving it. Since this recipe contains mayonnaise, you want to make sure it stays cool.
Easy Coleslaw Recipe
If you are looking for other Family Friendly meals or desserts follow along with me on YouTube or Facebook where I share simple recipes to help you with Feeding Your Fam! Make sure to subscribe so you will be notified each time I post a new video!
Tried it and just loved it? Leave me a rating! I would love to hear how it turned out for you! Or even snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @feedingyourfam or #feedingyourfam so I can see what you made!
- 3 cups green cabbage, thinly sliced (1/2 head of cabbage)
- 3 cups purple cabbage, thinly sliced (1/2 head of cabbage)
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp celery seed
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp spicy brown mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- In a large mixing/serving bowl toss together the cabbages, onions and carrots
- Mix together the ingredients for the dressing and pour over the mixed salad. Toss to coat evenly.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Can be made 24 hours in advance.
- keep chilled until ready to serve, store any leftovers in an air tight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
This Coleslaw Recipe is a simple combination of cabbages, carrots and onions all dressed in a simple, tangy coleslaw dressing. Perfect for serving at potluck parties, BBQs and family get togethers. This recipe is easy to make and only uses a few simple ingredients.