Creme Brulee is a creamy, custard dessert that is topped with a layer of light brown sugar that is torched to form a delicious, crunchy, sweet layer on top. This Creme Brulee Recipe only takes 5 ingredients to make the custard, super simple for a fancy treat.
What is Creme Brulee?
I’m going to keep it pretty basic and simple for you here. Creme Brulee is one of the most delicious, elegant desserts out there. Creme Brulee is a cream based, pudding-like, but more of a custard dessert that is baked in the oven and the topped with sugar that is torch to make a delicious crust that cracks when you dig in with a spoon.
This Creme Brulee recipe is so simple to make a home for a crowd pleasing dessert or even for a fancy, romantic dinner for two. Everyone will be so impressed when you pull this one off, they will be begging for the recipe and singing your culinary praises!
Tips for How to Make Creme Brulee
A few things to keep in mind when you are making this Creme Brulee recipe and that I have found to help make this process easier are:
- Make sure the eggs are at least at room temperature to help with tempering the custard. If you plan ahead, place the eggs out for at least 30 minutes before you start preparing the creme brulees. If you don’t remember to take the eggs out ahead of time, you can quickly bring them up in temperature by placing them in warm water for 5 minutes.
- The best way I have found to separate the egg yolk from the whites is using my hands. Simply crack the egg into your hand and allow the egg white to fall into a separate bowl. I know it sounds messy, and it is, but this has always worked the best.
- Mix the ingredients right in a blender or food processor. This is such a quick and efficient way to combine the ingredients for the creme brulee and makes pouring into the ramekins a breeze.
- For this recipe, use 6, 4 ounce ramekins like these. They are the perfect single serving size.
- Heat up the cream in the microwave until it is very warm to the touch, you can even test the temperature with an instant read thermometer like this Thermapen One, just to be sure it isn’t too hot. Heat it to about 95º F.
Can I make Creme Brulee Ahead?
The quick answer to ‘Can I make Creme Brulee Ahead?’ is YES!! Creme Brulee is the perfect make ahead dessert because it needs at least 2 hours to set in the fridge before it is served. This recipe for Creme Brulee can be made up to 3 days in advance of when you will be serving it.
If you are planning on making this recipe ahead, wait until just before serving to melt the sugar on the top. This will ensure that the sugar is nice and crunchy when you serve it to your guests. Simply sprinkle on the brown sugar and place under the hot broiler in your oven, or use a simple kitchen torch (definitely the more fun way) to crisp up the sugar topping.
Creme Brulee Recipe
If you are looking for other Family Friendly meals or desserts follow along with me on YouTube or Facebook where I share simple recipes to help you with Feeding Your Fam! Make sure to subscribe so you will be notified each time I post a new video!
Tried it and just loved it? Leave me a rating! I would love to hear how it turned out for you! Or even snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @feedingyourfam or #feedingyourfam so I can see what you made!
- butter for ramekins
- 4 egg yolks, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons vanilla sugar (see notes)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, for browning on top
- Preheat oven to 325º F. Butter 6 small ramekinsbutter for ramekins
- In a large bowl or blender combine the egg yolks and vanilla sugar until well combined.4 egg yolks, room temperature, 2 tablespoons vanilla sugar (see notes)
- Heat the heavy cream in the microwave until it is warm to the touch. Pour half into the egg mixture and combine. Add the remaining cream and mix well.2 cups heavy cream
- Pour the custard mixture into the prepared ramekins and place into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Fill the bottom of the baking dish with hot water that reaches half way up the side of the ramekins.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, until the centers are firm to the touch.
- Allow to cool and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to allow the custard to set before serving.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with the brown sugar and melt the sugar using a kitchen torch or place the custards under the broiler for 3-5 minutes, until golden. Serve immediately.1/4 cup light brown sugar, for browning on top
- To make vanilla sugar, place one vanilla bean into a container with white sugar.
- If you do not have vanilla sugar, you can substitute 2 tablespoons white sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of pure vanilla
Creme Brulee is a creamy, custard dessert that is topped with a layer of light brown sugar that is torched to form a delicious, crunchy, sweet layer on top. This Creme Brulee Recipe only takes 3 ingredients to make the custard, super simple for a fancy treat.