This Spaghetti and Meatballs Recipe is such a hearty and satisfying meal that is surprisingly easy to make for a quick weeknight dinner. This comfort food dish is perfect for feeding the whole fam. Made with simple ingredients, you can have this on the table in under 30 minutes!
Spaghetti and Meatballs
This simple pasta recipe for homemade spaghetti and meatballs is so easy to make, and won’t take you all day. We love to make this recipe on busy weeknights and this makes a big batch, so leftovers can be planned on.
We love spaghetti and meatballs because it is such a classic family style recipe that even the picky eaters will love. This recipe is one that we make often with a homemade spaghetti sauce that is really so simple to make, I think you are going to come back to this one often.
How to make Easy Spaghetti and Meatballs
To make this recipe for spaghetti with meatballs, start by making the meatballs. This recipe makes all beef meatballs, if you want a recipe with sausage, check out my other meatball recipe here.
Start by combining the ingredients for the meatballs in a large mixing bowl.
Add the ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, seasoning and parmesan cheese to the bowl. For the garlic and onion, I like to use a small grater to finely grate them into the meatball mixture.
Mix the meatballs together using a wooden spoon or even just use your hands, it’s messy, but works great. don’t over mix the meatballs, this will make them tough.
How to Roll Meatballs
To roll the meatball mixture into ball shape, take about 2 tablespoons and place into the palm of your hand and roll into a ball.
For easy measuring, I like to use a scoop, like this cookie scoop, to help make all of the meatballs about the same size. Scoop out some of the beef mixture, then roll into a ball.
Place the meatballs into a large pan over medium high heat and cook for 2-3 minutes per side. Cook in batches if all of the meatballs don’t fit into the pan at the same time.
At this point, you are just browning the meatballs on all sides, they don’t need to be cooked all the way through.
Remove the browned meatballs from the pan to a clean plate and drain off the grease from the pan.
In the same pan that the meatballs were cooked in, cook the onions for just a minute and then add in the garlic. Cook and stir for about 30 seconds, then add in the remaining ingredients for the sauce into the pan.
Stir the sauce until everything is well combined. Add the meatballs back into the pan and cover with a lid, leaving just a little part of the pan uncovered.
Bring the sauce to a boil and then turn down the heat to low and let simmer for 10-15 minutes while the pasta is cooking.
What to Serve with Spaghetti and Meatballs
While spaghetti and meatballs can be a delicious, filling meal on its own, make it even better with these simple sides:
What to do with leftover Spaghetti and Meatballs
If you have leftover spaghetti with meatballs, store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Use to make meatball sub sandwiches or just reheat for another dinner or lunch.
Spaghetti and meatballs can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
Spaghetti and Meatballs Recipe
If you are looking for other Family Friendly meals or desserts follow along with me on YouTube or Facebook where I share simple recipes to help you with Feeding Your Fam! Make sure to subscribe so you will be notified each time I post a new video!
⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️Tried it and just loved it? Leave me a rating! I would love to hear how it turned out for you! Or even snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @feedingyourfam or #feedingyourfam so I can see what you made!
Spaghetti and Meatballs
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs plain
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons yellow onion grated
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil for cooking
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for cooking
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 1 pound spaghetti noodles
- In a large mixing bowl combine all of the ingredients for the meatballs, except the olive oil. Use a wooden spoon or your hands to combine all of the ingredients.
- Scoop out 2 tablespoons of the meatball mixture and roll into equally sized balls.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Cook the meatballs in batches if needed.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, per side, until browned, they don't need to be cooked through at this point. Remove to a clean pan and drain the grease from the pan.
- In the same pan, add the olive oil. Cook and stir the onion for 1 minute, then add in the garlic and continue to cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add in the remaining ingredients for the spaghetti sauce and stir well to combine.
- Place the meatballs back into the pan and bring to a boil, turn down the heat to low.
- Cover the pan with a lid, leaving just a little bit of the pan uncovered. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions while the sauce and meatballs cook.
- Reserve some of the pasta water to add to the sauce if desired. Serve the spaghetti and meatballs over the cooked pasta.
- Nutrition facts are just a estimate
- covering the pan helps keep the heat and splattering sauce in the pan.
- check and stir the meatballs occasionally to make sure your stove isn’t too hot and burning the bottom of the pan
- store any leftovers in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days