This Green Bean Casserole is loaded with cheesy goodness! Swiss cheese that is! The perfect compliment to green beans and creamy mushroom sauce!
How to Make Green Bean Casserole
This recipe is an oldie, but a goodie!! This is not your typical canned mushroom soup and beans casserole. I like to start with fresh ingredients. They are so simple to get and add so much more flavor to this recipe!!
You will start by steaming the green beans just until soft before making the cream sauce to bring it all together!
Ingredients for Green Bean Casserole
For this recipe you will need:
- Fresh Green Beans
- Chopped onion
- Fresh, sliced mushrooms
- Shredded Swiss cheese
Green Bean Casserole
Everything gets cooked and mixed together until the beans are soft and the sauce is thick and creamy. Hold off, I know you will want to eat it right now, but it is so worth waiting for it to come out of the oven with all of that golden, bubbly cheese on top!!
Place in the oven at 350°F for about 30 minutes, until heated through and all melty!! Now you are in green bean casserole bliss!! This recipe is perfect for a Sunday night dinner or even those Holiday tables! Enjoy!
Green Bean Casserole Recipe
Cheesy Green Bean Casserole
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans
- 1/2 C chopped onion
- 1/2 pound sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 C butter
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground thyme
- 1 1/3 C 2% milk
- 1 1/2 C shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Cut off ends of green beans and slice in half. Cook green beans in boiling water until just tender, about 7-10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat saute butter, chopped onion and mushrooms until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in flour and spices until well combined. Gradually stir in 1 Cup milk and bring to a boil until thick.
- Once it has thickened, remove from heat and blend in 1 cup of the shredded Swiss cheese and remaining 1/3 C of milk.
- Mix in the cooked green beans and turn into a shallow baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 C of shredded Swiss cheese.
- Bake uncovered until heated through, about 30 minutes.